• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Pain in root canal / crowned tooth

L

Louie1

I had a crown fitted a year ago on to a front root canalled tooth and it was fine but the last couple of weeks I’ve been getting pain in the tooth which it has gradually been getting worse , I’ve seen my dentist and he took a X-ray and he said theres nothing showing up on the X-ray it looks the same as it did before he crowned it , I don’t understand it as he says the tooth is dead and I shouldn’t feel pain but it’s been absolutely killing me , I’m at my wits end here as I had a back molar extracted this week and I’ve got a dry socket so I’ve been in real pain with that and im now on antibiotics as there is a infection in the socket , so has you can imagine I’m feeling really low. I’m not sure if or how a root canal can be redone or if I will have to have it extracted and with it being a front tooth I will have to have a false tooth , anybody have any experience of this or any advise will be greatly appreciated

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Louie1,

sounds like you have had enough distress with that extracted tooth already, I see how this pain in the front tooth is the last thing you need right now. Before jumping into conclusions and fantasies about the root canal having to be redone and you losing a front tooth and replacing it, I was wondering what course of action did your dentist suggest?

All the best wishes

L

Louie1

Hi Louie1,

sounds like you have had enough distress with that extracted tooth already, I see how this pain in the front tooth is the last thing you need right now. Before jumping into conclusions and fantasies about the root canal having to be redone and you losing a front tooth and replacing it, I was wondering what course of action did your dentist suggest?

All the best wishes
He just said to leave it as nothing was showing up on the X-ray and see what happens , but the pain is intensified and tooth feels worse daily now , I rest somewhere that infection doesn’t always show up on a X-ray

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don‘t know about whether infection shows or not, but wish you wouldn‘t have to deal with this alone, it‘s a dentist who should offer you options. Have you considered to go back or to get a second opinion?

L

Louie1

I don‘t know about whether infection shows or not, but wish you wouldn‘t have to deal with this alone, it‘s a dentist who should offer you options. Have you considered to go back or to get a second opinion?
I rang today and left a message saying I want to be seen again as I can’t be left like this it’s not right

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Just to jump in. Root canals can almost always be redone, failing that then there's a surgical option called apicectomy. It doesn't mean that your tooth has to be extracted.

L

Louie1

Just to jump in. Root canals can almost always be redone, failing that then there's a surgical option called apicectomy. It doesn't mean that your tooth has to be extracted.
What is a apicectomy ? I’ve never heard of that

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Basically the dentist lifts a flap of gum to expose the top of the root of the tooth, then clears out the infection from the top down. Usually the top 2-3mm of root is removed and a filling put in to seal the tooth up.

It's not nearly as bad for the patient as it sounds!