• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain & jaw tension two wks after composite filling, cosmetic work falling apart too!

K

kblack10

Pain & jaw tension two wks after composite filling, cosmetic work falling apart too!

Six weeks ago, I went to a Dentist to take care of some old bonding on my front teeth that was chipped and stained. She made it look beautiful, but it started to chip off just a few days later. She fixed it, saying that it was very unusual, but now, five weeks after that fix, it's starting to happen again. The bonding I had before lasted ten years!

She also gave me two fillings on my lower right back teeth. It was SO painful and she had to numb me three times - I still felt the drilling. I had stabbing pains in my jaw for days and an infection that made my cheek swell and feel hot.

It's been two weeks since the fillings and I still have pain in the tooth when I chew - feels like I'm biting a nerve. Also, I now feel a chronic ache and tension in my jaw on the right. It is painful to hold my teeth together - feels like I'm fighting a rubber-band tension to bite down and hold the bite.

I'm terrified to have ayymore work done. When she was doing the fillings, I was sweating and gripping the chair the whole time, I felt like I was going to die. Just typing about it makes my heart race again. I've never had a dental phobia beofre but I think I'm developing one from all of this. Is any of this normal? This is my first experience with fillings and it's been miserable. Please help....thank you!

Last edited:
Re: Pain & jaw tension two wks after composite filling, cosmetic work falling apart too!

Is any of this normal? This is my first experience with fillings and it's been miserable. Please help....thank you!
:welcome:

No it all sounds horrendous..I don't think you've got a very good dentist there tbh.
Firstly fillings should not be painful and if you are not numb, they should stop and re-think, see here:

Re the bonding issues - doesn't look good for her technical skills.
Re the afterpain - ditto, could just be that the bite needs adjusting although it could also be that infection is present/filling has failed or even set off the nerve and tipped it over the edge.

Personally I would find an experienced highly recommended dentist (private if necessary if you are in UK) and...never look back ;)...she's definitely not a dentist to stick with based on what you have described - she'd have lost me at not being able to get me numb.

If the tooth cannot be saved by re-doing the filling, ask to be referred to an endodontist to save your tooth - unless your new general dentist is very competent in root canals and has the right equipment. Your present one I am sure, does not and she will likely only add to your fear or want to extract your tooth as the easy way out.

Last edited:
Back