• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain on one side of a tooth and what do I do?

M

mouthsewnshut

About three weeks ago I got pain in my jaw, my cheek, my ear. It was weird because I could not feel pain on my teeth. But the pain was bad enough to wake me up and came and went in the day/night. I went to my dentist, I said I thought it was one molar in front of my lower wisdom tooth. He X-rayed and saw nothing wrong with that tooth, that it probably was inflammation because I brux (I know I do, have done since my childhood and still do) gave me some ibu 600mg and said it would go away. I was also taking antibiotics. eventually it went. But a few days on, it came back and I could tell it was my lower wisdom tooth, but only on one side. I can feel it when I brush my teeth. There is an old filling in there. The pain is not currently as bad as it was, it is more of an annoyance at the moment.

I phoned my dentist yesterday to ask if they can see the wisdom tooth in the little x-ray and if he still had the wand, I might be able to face the treatment if I take a little sedative beforehand. The nurse spoke to him and rang me this morning to say that he will give me another round of antibiotics and he can refer me for an extraction under sedation. I was a little taken aback as there was nothing amiss a couple weeks ago, and now without having seen me again, he suggests an extraction? It seems a little drastic?

I do realise that during covid there are restrictions and protocols but I could wait til things settle down if they ever do, I do realise that am a very difficult patient due to my extreme phobia of any procedure, my tooth is also not very painful at the moment, so really? An extraction?

What can cause pain on one specific spot of a tooth? What should I do? I am not happy right now, and I am considering looking for a new dentist :(

Last edited:
Well, if you don't trust this dentist, getting a second opinion would seem the best way forward.

Thanks Gordon, it's not entirely that I don't trust him, but I am beginning to feel like we're not a good fit. If he is uncomfortable with my phobia and just needs to refers me whenever I have to have work done it doesn't seem like I am getting the most of my private plan. I felt that suggesting to extract a tooth without having seen it as a problematic tooth at my last appointment a couple weeks ago seems a little drastic.

I just feel a little stuck at the moment, what with the whole covid thing, it might not be the best time to start shopping around. Do dentists do casual chats with potential new patients?

Covid has really done a number on dentistry I'm afraid. Some dentists are happy to chat with potential new patients, some aren't, sorry not much help there was I? :)
Without seeing you it might be that the wisdom tooth isn't worth saving anyway, it may be non-functional or otherwise compromised, so the most sensible course of action would be to remove it if it's causing problems.

Yeah covid has done a number on a lot of things! I'll see if I can find someone who will take me on or at least have a chat with me, either on the phone or skype. It seems so weird though, as I've been going to him for over 10 years but a few times wondered, is this the right dentist for me? So looking for a new one almost feels like I am 'cheating' on him if you know what I mean and is also absolutely daunting as in, what if I find no one I feel comfortable with.who will understand my phobia and all issues relating to that. But as he was always the type of dentist who likes to save teeth as much as possible, it really surprised me that this was his suggestion.

Thing with my tooth is that he x-rayed there 2-3 weeks ago and saw nothing physically wrong. It hasn't hurt before, it is completely out and there is no crowding issues. So if it is just a matter of tooth sensitivity, it would be crazy (in my opinion) to remove it. Also if it were pulled it would leave me with one tooth on its own on that side at the back. My bite has changed tons over the years, my teeth only touch at the back, I would like to retain as many of my teeth where possible, I only have two missing and I am almost 60. Otherwise I won't be able to chew anymore. I am also absolutely terrified (ptsd) of just having an injection in my mouth, so the idea of extractions is giving me nightmares. :(

Back