• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Pain & Sensitivity after white filling & questions about composite fillings and UV light

L

lyth

Pain & Sensitivity after white filling & questions about composite fillings and UV light

Hi,

Yesterday (less than 24 hours ago), I received 3 fillings. One on my left furthest top molar (not wisdom teeth), and 2 on on my right furthest top molar (gum line fillings on both sides of the tooth).

I had 3 fillings done within an hour.

Ive been having some pain (dull aching) on the tooth ever since I received the 2 fillings on it. They were composite fillings, I think. They're white.

The pain comes and goes. Yesterday it was worse, and when I woke up this morning it didn't hurt at all. But now it hurts again after I had a cold drink.

I do believe a fair amount of the pain is coming from the 2 injection points where the numbing agent was put. They're kinda swollen. I can feel a large bump.

The tooth is also sensitive to cold. Is this normal? How long will it last?

Also, the dentist did NOT use a "UV Wand" (the dental light that cures fillings). Is this normal? All of the fillings are white, and the material (before being put in my mouth) looked to be malleable by hand, like a paste kinda.

He said it only takes a few moments to "set" on the tooth.

Thanks

EDIT: Woops, might as well ask this too: How long should I wait before having a smoke? The tooth isnt sensitive to hot, but I just want to make sure that I won't hurt it or anything.

Last edited:
B

BostonBelle03

Re: Pain & Sensitivity after white filling & questions about composite fillings and UV light

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sensitivity. Depending on how deep the filling went, there may be some soreness and sensitivity for a few days, even weeks. I recently had a very deep cavity filled with a white composite material and it took almost a month for the pain and sensitivity to subside. OTC tylenol or ibuprofen may help with the pain. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, I would definitely call your dentist.

As far as the UV light goes, my doctor does use the light when "curing" white fillings. I thought it was standard, but, maybe there is a different type of filling that doesn't require it? Perhaps someone else can chime in.

L

lyth

Re: Pain & Sensitivity after white filling & questions about composite fillings and UV light

Thanks for the advice about my sensitivity. Hopefully someone else can help too.

I have a weird taste in my mouth too. When I rinse with water, the water smells like "dentistry". I presume this is normal too, as I hear that the fillings bonding agent can leave a weird taste for a few days.

R

rob wain

Verified dentist

theres another type of tooth coloured filling called glass ionomers which may be used in the way that you've described.
Glass ionomers are better than composite at sticking to dentine (such as on the root surface where you described), they also release fluoride to strengthen the surrounding tooth.
There are light cured versions- (with the bright light) or chemically cured versions (left to set) depending upon the circumstances.
The tenderness from the injections should improve rapidly, the sensitivity should gradually improve but may take a week or more.

L

lyth

theres another type of tooth coloured filling called glass ionomers which may be used in the way that you've described.
Glass ionomers are better than composite at sticking to dentine (such as on the root surface where you described), they also release fluoride to strengthen the surrounding tooth.
There are light cured versions- (with the bright light) or chemically cured versions (left to set) depending upon the circumstances.
The tenderness from the injections should improve rapidly, the sensitivity should gradually improve but may take a week or more.
Thanks for the tips Rob!

It may have been glass, as the "setting time" online seems to be a few minutes, which would make sense (heard the dentist mumbling about quick setting time). :)

P

patient

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sensitivity. Depending on how deep the filling went, there may be some soreness and sensitivity for a few days, even weeks. I recently had a very deep cavity filled with a white composite material and it took almost a month for the pain and sensitivity to subside. OTC tylenol or ibuprofen may help with the pain. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, I would definitely call your dentist.

As far as the UV light goes, my doctor does use the light when "curing" white fillings. I thought it was standard, but, maybe there is a different type of filling that doesn't require it? Perhaps someone else can chime in.
I made a thread which nobody answered and then found this. I had a white filling the other day which is now a bit sensitive. Why do white fillings do this to teeth? None of my silver fillings have ever been sensitive when they have been done. My friend had a white filling done which was never sensitive after and she is under the impression that you should not get sensitivity from white fillings

Faithix

Faithix

Hey lyth!

Sounds like you had either a composite filling or a glass ionomer filling!

It's totally normal for the dentist to not use a curing light, some filling materials are very handy and self-cure over a period of time!
As for smoking, just don't do it while you're numb. As far as I know, smoking does not hurt the filling.. I smoked about half an hour after my last filling - and a year later the filling + tooth is just fine ;)

As for your discomfort...
Depending which area of the actual tooth you had the fillings done on, the dentist may have used what we call a "matrix", which is basically just a little loop-barrier that surrounds the tooth. We use this if the wall of the tooth needs restoring so we can get all that messy filling material to conform to the tooth's natural shape. As handy as these little matrix's are, they sometimes can cause tiny lacerations to your gums which will cause some discomfort. Take care brushing and flossing as the site may be a little tender for a couple of days. Try swishing some salt water to assist any healing and just take it easy. :)

Hope at least a little of this info helps, I'm only a Dental Nursing Student so bear with me and please, if you have ANY concerns, see your dentist as soon as you can :)