• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain/Sensitivity in tooth after Composite Filling.

G

glin

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I just wanted to say I appreciate these forums. I found this on google and was hoping people here could help me in my time of need.

About 5 weeks ago I had a filling done for a tooth. The dentist claimed I had a cavity in between a tooth and had to drill it a decent amount. I was put on novacain and didn't feel any pain during the process. The filling used was a composite filling. This filling was done on my left second premolar.

I don't really go to the dentist too often, so I let him do the filling because I didn't want the tooth to rot... Now I'm wishing I didn't because I'm having sensitivity to even water that's slightly colder than room temperature. Also if I bite on something semi hard (wooden toothpick) it's recreates that sensitivity pain on that tooth.

I went back to the dentist a few weeks ago and had an xray done. All he said was that the bite looked good, the filling wasn't that close to the nerve, and if I was still in pain I have no choice but to get a root canal. I honestly don't want to go through root canal treatment, and I believe that something could be done here.

I'm most likely gonna go back to the dentist to have him take another look, but I'm sure he's just going to say the same thing... Do any of you have any suggestions? I read online that if the filling is done poorly it can result in the problem I'm having.

The pain is somewhat bearable at times, but it's a type of sharp pain that can throb for a while.

Last edited:
A

annie778

. Do any of you have any suggestions? I read online that if the filling is done poorly it can result in the problem I'm having.

The pain is somewhat bearable at times, but it's a type of sharp pain that can throb for a while.

I've reached the cynical point in my dental experience where I am likely to go for a second opinion if someone suggests even a filling. But I have very good reason for that based on past experience of conflicting approaches by different dentists. For example I still have a decay free tooth at the back of my mouth which I was told needed a filling replaced. I have a filling replacement in a cracked tooth where I was told by one dentist I needed a root treatment or extraction. I have a root filled crown which I was told 8 years ago had failed. I've been subsequently told by second opinion dentists that all this suggested work would have been totally unnecessary. So maybe you can see why I am so cynical about what Im told by dentists and why I question every little thing.

It's unfortunate that some dentists cannot be trusted to leave you pain free.

I think you should go elsewhere and see if something can be done. In particular try a minimally invasive or conservative dental practice. Your dentist should not be suggesting a root treatment if there is no infection & certainly it's far too radical to not investigate further options.

The pain you feel sounds similar to my cracked tooth only I had intense pain (like an electric shock) on biting into some hot foods. In my case a root treatment was suggested but I went elsewhere and had some ozone therapy and a very carefully laid composite. Given the cost and implications of root treatment you should go down a more conservative route initially (having a replacement filling or crown by someone a bit more skilled than your dentist) and if that does not work then go for root treatment. Going straight for a root canal at the first sign of a problem he does not understand strikes me as a sign of a lazy dentist, particularly if it's a result of something he has done.

by the way one of the tests the dentist who saved my cracked tooth from root canal did was sensitivity to cold. He insisted that as I reacted to this, the tooth was vital and should not be root treated unless absolutely necessary. The endodontist did not tell me this. All this happened about 15 months ago and my tooth is fine. No recurrence of the awful pain I had and he did his best to save it without any further removal of tooth.

Last edited:
G

glin

Yeah I really shouldn't have let him drill my tooth. I'm going to have to get it checked out by someone else.

With no dental insurance it's going to be a pain.. no pun intended.

I had no pain in my tooth prior to this work, do you guys think that I was scammed into getting the tooth drilled?
He showed me the xrays before I got the work done and they looked similar to this.
howxray1a.jpg

Being ignorant to dental work I just let him drill it. I've since improved my flossing habits and use Act fluoride rinse every day

Last edited:
A

annie778

are these your teeth in the x ray? From the way you post I think they are just a similar pic you found on the net but I may be wrong.

I don't think we can comment on whether you needed the filling in the first place, but the question is whether he has given you a shoddy filling. Only another dentist can see what can be done. All I can say is that I do not expect to go to a dentist and end up in pain after having treatment. It's supposed to be the other way around. I also don't expect to be told I need a root treatment to get rid of the pain. That to me is malpractice.

If a filling is likely to lead to a situation like that you should be warned in advance that there is a risk and be informed of alternative courses of action.

G

glin

The photo was provided from the internet. I share the same sentiments as you.

The fact that he suggested root canal as the only other step was very shady.

D

Dr. Shirley

Hi glin,

I thought a 'second' dental opinion (though without xray) would be helpful here.
after composite fillings or any dental work is done, sensitivity can be the result... even teeth that didn't hurt before treatment was done. yes, I know that is the unfortunate truth. small and medium size cavities usually do not have symptoms... usually teeth that give you toothaches already have large decay =(
cold sensitivity is usually the most common after fillings. it's good that you had your bite checked and that it is accurate. this is the most common reason for bite or cold sensitivity.
as far as needing a root canal or not... I would like you to answer these questions first. when you have the cold sensitivity how long does it last for? seconds, minutes? do you have hot sensitivity on this tooth?

the fact that he said that the filling is not close to the nerve is GREAT GREAT news. and that it is most likely post operative sensitivity. let me know more about your symptoms.

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley

G

glin

Hi glin,

I thought a 'second' dental opinion (though without xray) would be helpful here.
after composite fillings or any dental work is done, sensitivity can be the result... even teeth that didn't hurt before treatment was done. yes, I know that is the unfortunate truth. small and medium size cavities usually do not have symptoms... usually teeth that give you toothaches already have large decay =(
cold sensitivity is usually the most common after fillings. it's good that you had your bite checked and that it is accurate. this is the most common reason for bite or cold sensitivity.
as far as needing a root canal or not... I would like you to answer these questions first. when you have the cold sensitivity how long does it last for? seconds, minutes? do you have hot sensitivity on this tooth?

the fact that he said that the filling is not close to the nerve is GREAT GREAT news. and that it is most likely post operative sensitivity. let me know more about your symptoms.

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley

Hello Dr. Shirley,

First of all thanks for replying. To comment on the part where you said toothaches usually indicate large decay, I do not think this was not very deep decay, and the picture I provided show almost exactly what my second premolar looked like in the xray.

Sharp sensitivity from cold items usually last for a solid 4 to 5 seconds until the item is moved away from that tooth. There is still a dull aching sensation on that tooth after wards. This could last anywhere from a few minutes, to half of the day. This tooth is sensitive to even room temperature water. I could have the water and swish it in my mouth and my second premolar would get irritated.

As far as hot sensitivity, not too much. If the food is steaming hot liquid, it can cause a dull ache, but nothing that's unbearable... however, it makes any room temperature/cold items emit an even sharper pain, sometimes almost unbearable to the point where I have to groan and don't want any food on that side.

The filling definitely did not touch the nerve, the dentist did say sometimes that nerve fibers that are unseen in the xray could have been drilled through causing more sensitivity that will eventually go away.

I've been using Sensodyne which hasn't really helped, and the irritation I have, has not gotten any better at all since it was worked on. Right now it's very irritating and I do NOT want a root canal. I don't really think the nerve is dying since it was never even touched, however, I can't be sure of that until I get it looked at again.

As an example, I just used ACT fluoride rinse prior to typing this reply, and my tooth has this dull ache that won't go away. It's already been a solid half an hour and it continues to linger. Also sometimes when I breathe in cold air it can cause a little irritation to that tooth as well. Could the tooth even be cracked somewhere?

Last edited:
G

glin

I'm going to have the dentist check on it again on Thursday. If he says root canal again I'm going to get a second opinion.

The sensitivity seems to be getting worse by the day. I really hope it's not the nerve dying. I'm having the same exact symptoms you did pippin.

O

ohman

First off, let me say Im sorry for your discomfort. I happened to have about 5 small fiilings on my lower front teeth and boy were they sensative to cold. i had to use a straw for drinking. I went to thedentist who assured be everything was fine and to use sensodine tooth paste. My pain eventually went away and they dont bother me any more. hope you have the same luck.

G

glin

First off, let me say Im sorry for your discomfort. I happened to have about 5 small fiilings on my lower front teeth and boy were they sensative to cold. i had to use a straw for drinking. I went to thedentist who assured be everything was fine and to use sensodine tooth paste. My pain eventually went away and they dont bother me any more. hope you have the same luck.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did the sensitivity last and did it get noticeably better as time went on? Mine seems to be getting either worse or no better.

T

TooManyFillings

Sorry to hear about your problem, I too have a similar problem under very similar circumstances and the affected tooth is also a premolar! Have had the pain and sensitivity on and off for a year now, ever since the tooth was filled. The dentist (an excellent dentist BTW) can find nothing wrong whatsoever. If my sinuses play up that tooth also aches a lot while the others remain just fine. I'm thinking of having the tooth removed or a root canal done - either way it can only improve matters! :)

G

glin

Just wanted to give an update. I went to another dentist and he said that at this point I can only try a sedative filling to calm the nerve down. He also said that the previous dentist may have not used enough water or caution drilling and caused inflammation in the nerve (pulpitis).

Today I got my sedative filling in and right now I still feel similar sensitivity, although it might be a tad better. He wants me to try it for a few weeks, but wants to have a reevaluation next week.

I'm hoping it gets better so that I don't have to undergo root canal treatment.

M

melverbr

Hi There,
I have had the same experience with a composite filling, Two months later and I can still not eat hard foods on it. I have had it filed down once and have had a slight improvement, I went back to the dentist again and he said I may need to get it extracted if there is no improvement, hence I went to another dentist that very day!! I need quite alot of work done on my teeth but he gave me a honest treatment plan and he took the time in explaining everything to me. I cannot stress to you enough to get a second opinion! Especially if it can save your tooth :)

R

Rome

Just wanted to give an update. I went to another dentist and he said that at this point I can only try a sedative filling to calm the nerve down. He also said that the previous dentist may have not used enough water or caution drilling and caused inflammation in the nerve (pulpitis).

Today I got my sedative filling in and right now I still feel similar sensitivity, although it might be a tad better. He wants me to try it for a few weeks, but wants to have a reevaluation next week.

I'm hoping it gets better so that I don't have to undergo root canal treatment.

hi glin,

Any update yet?

M

mags

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I just wanted to say I appreciate these forums. I found this on google and was hoping people here could help me in my time of need.

About 5 weeks ago I had a filling done for a tooth. The dentist claimed I had a cavity in between a tooth and had to drill it a decent amount. I was put on novacain and didn't feel any pain during the process. The filling used was a composite filling. This filling was done on my left second premolar.

I don't really go to the dentist too often, so I let him do the filling because I didn't want the tooth to rot... Now I'm wishing I didn't because I'm having sensitivity to even water that's slightly colder than room temperature. Also if I bite on something semi hard (wooden toothpick) it's recreates that sensitivity pain on that tooth.

I went back to the dentist a few weeks ago and had an xray done. All he said was that the bite looked good, the filling wasn't that close to the nerve, and if I was still in pain I have no choice but to get a root canal. I honestly don't want to go through root canal treatment, and I believe that something could be done here.

I'm most likely gonna go back to the dentist to have him take another look, but I'm sure he's just going to say the same thing... Do any of you have any suggestions? I read online that if the filling is done poorly it can result in the problem I'm having.

I had exactly the same problem.

The dentist completely exaggerated the cavity and proceed to drill and destroy my tooth.

I was unaware (and also he said that it will be a very small fix) and let him go. That was an error I will regret the rest of my life.

I am very interested to know if you went through root canal treatment or not.

thanks.
regards.

E

eatscrayons

New to the site and Google found this for me but I too am having the same issue.

I had a mild filling done in my back molar and had pressure sensitivity. I went back and had my bite adjusted two weeks after the filling. Three weeks after the adjustment, it still hurts to bite even the softest of foods. I just went back to the dentist a few days ago and had an xray done. No cracks, not super deep, nothing. So he removes it, applies a sensitive barrier drop and refilled it. It's only been three days but chewing still hurts nearly the same. Noodles are doable, anything harder than that is a no-go.

The dentist told me to give it more time and sometimes these white fillings just cause sensitivity despite my having 4 others that have never had issues before.

It's been a real head scratcher. Root canal seems so extreme and honestly, completely not affordable. Sigh.....