• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain six days later.

B

broken_symlink

I got all four of my wisdom teeth out last Thursday and am going into day six. I went in to see my oral surgeon on Monday because after the swelling went down I noticed a large hard lump under my left cheek. He said I have a hematoma and it should go away on its own in anywhere from a week to a month, but other than that everything looks good and that I am past the point of getting dry socket.

However, I still have a good amount of pain on the lower right side and am wondering what I should do. The day after I went to see the surgeon, I slept on my right side and woke up in a lot of pain, so I'm not sure if I caused it by doing that or not. The only way I can get through the day is by taking six advil (two every 3 to 4 hours) and even then I still wake up in the middle of the night in pain. The advil does completely get rid of the pain though, but my dad is worried because I'm taking so much and its not supposed to good for you. I'm not sure if I should go back to taking the stronger stuff I got, like hydrocodone, or the prescription ibuprofen. I've been taking antibiotics daily since Thursday. My surgeon gives it as a preventative measure regardless.

Should I call my surgeon and make an appointment to see him again? I am supposed to move to school this weekend for orientation week starting Monday, but I'm not sure if I should see if I can putting off moving for another week if I am still in pain like this.

The pain seems to have gotten better. I think it was because I wasn't going far back enough with the syringe, because there was a lot of food stuck back there. It still hurts, but not as bad, I don't really need that much advil anymore either.

The hematoma is definitely going to take a while to disappear. Its slowly getting smaller.

Hopefully I'll be ok moving tomorrow.

Back