• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain three weeks after extraction, please help!

L

landon22

Around two-three weeks ago i had my very back, bottom right tooth extracted. My dentist experienced "complications" and ended up doing oral surgery. He had a difficult time removing the tooth as it fractured and he had to dig the roots out, his main complaint was how hard my bone around the tooth was (not sure what this means but thought it might help). The first week i felt nearly no pain what so ever and was eating normal, the second week i developed slight pain. Now at week three im not doing so well, my tonsil on that side of my face is swollen and pain radiates from my throat (even when i swallow), to my ear much like an ear infection and to the right side of my temple. The site of the extraction seems to be healing nicely. I still have an indention where the tooth was which is quite deep but its covered with new skin but the skin is dark red and very sensitive around the site when touched or when i eat. I still have to be careful and eat on the left side of my mouth as food gets trapped inside the extraction site and causes a lot of pain. I've been out of pain meds and antibiotics for about a week now.

Im considering making an appointment in the morning as im now losing sleep over this, i dont think its dry socket as most of the pain is not directly at the extraction site but all around it. What should i do? Would it be rude of me to ask for more pain medicine? The ibuprofen and advil simply is not helping any more. Im kinda scared to go back after how rough my last visit was and i feel like im begging to see the dentist and i dont want to appear that way, i just want the pain to go away. Im considering calling in for an appointment tomorrow if one is available. :cry:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :(

Last edited:
Hi :welcome: go back and see the dentist you are not begging, it could be an infection, you don't know. Your dentist needs to see it to be able to say for sure what is wrong, usually you get dry socket within the first 3 days, as you are well past this, I doubt it is that.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Hi :welcome: go back and see the dentist you are not begging, it could be an infection, you don't know. Your dentist needs to see it to be able to say for sure what is wrong, usually you get dry socket within the first 3 days, as you are well past this, I doubt it is that.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:
I have an appoitment in an hour and a half. How should i go about asking for more hydrocodone? Im trying ibuprofen 800, tramadol and advil with no luck. He wrote me 18 hydrocodone 10s after the extraction, here we are three weeks later and im in as much pain as i was before they extracted the tooth. Should i just be blunt and say it? I cant work like this any longer :(

and do they usually charge for a visit after they did the work and are responsible? ive read up on tmj and i have all of the symptoms, it would explain the ear ache, and pain in my face.. i always get nervous when im in the dentist and never say what i need to.. >.<

Say it as it is, you are in more pain than before and need more pain meds and I think he may well advise that you have some antibiotic. You should not be in this pain at this stage, you should really have got over the extraction by now. I think you will find he will be able to do something. If it was earlier I would say it was dry socket but I will be most surprised if it is that, unless you have been this bad since day 3.

Ask for pain meds and tell him anything you have isn't working, good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on.:butterfly:

I don't think you are in the UK so I don't know about the charging, I don't think he should but I cannot say for sure.

Thanks and will do :)

You are welcome, don't forget to let us know how you get on.

You are welcome, don't forget to let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the concern! I just got back from the dentist, he says the extraction site is healing just fine and it seems that i have all the symptoms of tmj and is fitting me with a night guard so i wont grind me teeth monday. I got another script of pain meds and am starting to feel better already :)

Glad you got sorted out, TMJ is not a good thing as you have found out, well worth going back, I wish you well for your appointment on Monday. I also hope that the guard helps you soon as well.

I am glad you are feeling better :butterfly:

thank you! and yeah he told me its something that will always bother me more than likely. is it only because i grind my teeth? he pretty much put it that way saying pulling the tooth just caused it to "flare up".

Yes I get it and it does kill, I once got a mouth guard and bit through it in a couple of weeks. I hope your's lasts longer and I am pleased for you that you are feeling better, hopefully you will feel really well after a couple of days pain free.

Good luck for Monday, let us know how you go on. :)

Back