Pain Two Months after RCT

R

Roy T.

Two months ago I had a root canal on a lower right molar (#31 I think?). I have seen the dentist who did it at two-week intervals since. The usual pain and stuff went as expected, a week or so. But there is still pain when I press on (or even touch) the front of the tooth.

The dentist put a temp silver cap on for the first two weeks, and then wanted to put the crown on but I asked for a delay. After two more weeks (a month after the RC) she put it on with temp cement at my request. Then two weeks ago (six weeks post RC) she put it in permanently.

But it still hurts when I touch the front. She has tested for temperature sensitivity and there is none, so we don’t think a canal was missed. She checked for a fracture by having me bite and release on something, and there was no pain on release and little on bite, so we don’t think it is cracked. There was never any infection that I know of, and she sees no sign of any now. I can press on the back of the tooth and the top, with almost no pain, but if I touch the front, even with my cheek, it hurts a little sharply, and if I continue to fool with it, it will ache for a while in the jaw area and then settle down.

She told me to chew on that side, but if I do it begins to hurt, though as I said merely pressing down from the top will not. So for two months I have had to chew on my left side. We have finally decided it is a ligament or something. She wants to see me in two months, so that will be four months after the RC. Do I just suffer for two more months in hopes things will get better?

By the way, it has not, I think, got worse over time, but it is almost as tender as it has been all along. The original problem was never as painful.

M

MountainMama

I had the same issue with my root canal molar. They also thought it was the ligament, because no infection was showing up, and root canal looked perfect. The endodontist took the tooth completely out of occlusion so the ligament could heal. It never did. My dentist would not put the permanent crown on until the tooth stopped hurting, so I had a temp crown for four months. I ended up getting it extracted, after trying an apicoectomy, and that not fixing it either.

If it is the ligament, it can take 6 weeks or more to heal. I was told not to use my tooth during that time.

R

Roy T.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Can you tell me if getting it extracted helped? Or did it just damage things more?

J

JustMe1972

I'm having the same issue right now. I had a root canal on one of my molars (second from the back on the right side) two months ago. Because I also had a tooth pulled (same tooth opposite side) a week after my root canal I have to chew solely on the root canal side and it started to hurt if I touched it with my tongue or pushed on it. No sensitivity to hot/cold, and no pain when chewing, no infection, and the bite looked fine. I finally healed enough to switch to chewing on the side that had my tooth removed and that seems to have helped with the root canal tooth. Although It still will hurt a bit if I push on it, but they told me it could take a while for the ligament to settle down. I've been trying to avoid chewing on it, or just chewing soft things on that side. I will go back in a month if I am still having issues.

Enarete

Enarete

Forum Buddy
Hi Roy,

Sorry to read about your ordeal :( it sounds like your dentist ruled out all possible options. I am wondering whether asking for a second opinion would be an option?

R

Roy T.

Yes, I am considering a visit to an endodontist for an evaluation. Can they tell much with a permanent zirconium crown in place? Will they review the x-rays and records from the dentist? Make their own? Will they use something other than x-ray? Thanks for any ideas.

Enarete

Enarete

Forum Buddy
This sounds like a good idea. An endodontist will be mostly interested in how the roots of the tooth look like so a crown shouldn't be a problem (there is a crown-type that makes it even possible to look at the tooth on the x-ray, but not sure whether zirconium is that one).

There might be a different system in every country, but in general your dentist should either be able to pass your x-rays to the endodontist or give them to you so that you can pass them. It might be wise to ask about this when you schedule to find out.