• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain when biting something hard… going to a dentist is not an option

G

gaogier

Hello

I know you are going to say that I need to go to the dentist but here why I can't go, its not due to money, its due to the fact I suffer from autism. One of the things that effects me is being touched, I have never been able to be touched. I shall give you a few examples, my nan was not in my live until a few years ago, when she first saw me she went to give me a hug, I ended up having a autism "freak out", she didn't give me a hug, just a light touch. I have to wear "special" clothing, I can't handle metal, I can't even bath or shower like you would, even as a brand new baby I would scream but not cry until I was put down.

Back on my tooth, a little history about my teeth, my wisdom teeth came in at an angle and none has formed whole as found out via scans so they are all odd shaped. I believe they would need to come out. The tooth giving me problems at the moment is just before my molars, I think its a very tiny crack maybe 0.1mm, it feels like there is something stuck in teeth.

Anyway what can I do myself to fix this? As said I can't go to the dentist to get it done as I can't be touched.

Could I buy dental cement to fix the problem?

Pain when biting something hard, unless you have recently had a filling or a crown is indeed usually due to a crack. when you bite down the force separates the crack further and irritates the nerve. cement will not repair this and could trap bacteria inside leading to further problems. It can also be from a nerve dying if the pain lingers or occurs at times other than biting.
I know you don't want to hear this but you do have to seek out a dentist for help. If needed you can be sedated for the exam if you want to, so that you will not notice being touched. How did you manage to get through the scans of your wisdom teeth? Whatever you did to allow them to touch you for xrays could also work for you to get an exam.

Pain when biting something hard, unless you have recently had a filling or a crown is indeed usually due to a crack. when you bite down the force separates the crack further and irritates the nerve. cement will not repair this and could trap bacteria inside leading to further problems. It can also be from a nerve dying if the pain lingers or occurs at times other than biting.
I know you don't want to hear this but you do have to seek out a dentist for help. If needed you can be sedated for the exam if you want to, so that you will not notice being touched. How did you manage to get through the scans of your wisdom teeth? Whatever you did to allow them to touch you for xrays could also work for you to get an exam.

I find hospital examinations and scans extremely hard, they all know I have autism and I even have medication to take when I go out so I don't freakout as much. You see my doctor thought that if I end up "freaking out" when touched she wondered what my blood pressure was, I had a 24 hour monitor on and it went up to 270/210, and that was just a simple touch from someone.

I didn't know that I could be sedated for the exam, what about the fixing of my tooth? sedation for that also?

I am going to have to use some toothpaste on this, its very good - my wisdom teeth that were not formed hurt when eating also, this toothpaste = no pain at all.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen an autism meltdown before, I am considered high functioning, due to the fact I can talk and make sentences, I would call myself mid functioning.

I find hospital examinations and scans extremely hard, they all know I have autism and I even have medication to take when I go out so I don't freakout as much. You see my doctor thought that if I end up "freaking out" when touched she wondered what my blood pressure was, I had a 24 hour monitor on and it went up to 270/210, and that was just a simple touch from someone.

I didn't know that I could be sedated for the exam, what about the fixing of my tooth? sedation for that also?

I am going to have to use some toothpaste on this, its very good - my wisdom teeth that were not formed hurt when eating also, this toothpaste = no pain at all.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen an autism meltdown before, I am considered high functioning, due to the fact I can talk and make sentences, I would call myself mid functioning.

Yes you can absolutely be sedated for treatment, not just for the exam. There are dentists who offer IV sedation or oral sedation or both. I have extreme dental phobia and had to be prescribed a valium to take at home before I even went to the dentist for my cleaning. When you call to make an appointment just explain the situation and your concerns and let them know that you would like to be prescribed something for your exam.

Yes you can absolutely be sedated for treatment, not just for the exam. There are dentists who offer IV sedation or oral sedation or both. I have extreme dental phobia and had to be prescribed a valium to take at home before I even went to the dentist for my cleaning. When you call to make an appointment just explain the situation and your concerns and let them know that you would like to be prescribed something for your exam.

I can't tell them about my situation as I don't talk. I can't write either, (can't hold a pen right).

Pain when biting something hard… going to a dentist is not an option

You may be able to email the office or have someone call for you. Or you could type and print out what you want to tell them and bring it with you,

I agree with FearfulinMA there are a lot of dentists with websites that list email addresses. You can type it up and email it to them or even send them this post. There are some recommendations on this site for good dentists by members, you could check that board and see if any of them are in your area and whether they list web sites or not. Or perhaps you could have a relative make the call for you. I don't have autism but I do have great difficulty working up the nerve to make calls for appointments.

Of course dental sedation is an option. There's the oral medication options such as valium which might be a hit or miss, some people it really helps but for some like me it doesn't really do much. Or a little laughing gas can chill some people out(works for me). A lot of people here have even done the iv sedation route and that does seem to really work. There's also the hospital under G.A. option.

as far as dentists go, can't you see if there's any good ones in the area that specialize in Autistic patients? I've heard of different dentists specializing with different people.

Contact a local pediatric dental office for a referral to an appropriate dentist or facility

Back