• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain when teeth touch after root canals

L

LauraQ68

So, I had two root canals done several hours ago. As I’m trying to sleep, my teeth keep touching and I’m getting sharp pain. Is this normal and should I expect it to improve? I didn’t think it would hurt to bite down. I’m trying desperately not to! Thanks for any advice.

P

Paige2018

Your bite could be off from the temp filling/crown. It is a super easy and painless fix. I would call your dentist back as soon as possible so that they can adjust your bite to get you out of pain.

T

TKB1974

My root canals were on opposite sides, and I definitely had discomfort/some moderate pain. My endodontist said that was normal & said the area in/around the tooth could be sensitive for up to a week. I’m assuming you only received a temp filling in the teeth yesterday, correct? I think those can cause a bit of an issue with your bite being a bit off too. If it’s just mild/moderate discomfort, personally I’d give it a week. I think my tooth took about 4-5 days to settle down. Once I got the temp crown and then the permanent crown, no issues.

L

LauraQ68

My root canals were on opposite sides, and I definitely had discomfort/some moderate pain. My endodontist said that was normal & said the area in/around the tooth could be sensitive for up to a week. I’m assuming you only received a temp filling in the teeth yesterday, correct? I think those can cause a bit of an issue with your bite being a bit off too. If it’s just mild/moderate discomfort, personally I’d give it a week. I think my tooth took about 4-5 days to settle down. Once I got the temp crown and then the permanent crown, no issues.

Yes, they are temp fillings. I go back in a week for impressions for crowns. Thank you for the reassurance!

M

Molar_bear

Forum Buddy
Yes, they are temp fillings. I go back in a week for impressions for crowns. Thank you for the reassurance!

I too had pain when my teeth touched after RCT, as others have said it’s often the change in bite from the filling or mild swelling I think I’m my case.

L

LauraQ68

I too had pain when my teeth touched after RCT, as others have said it’s often the change in bite from the filling or mild swelling I think I’m my case.

Yes, I think you're exactly right. I'm just being careful with chewing until I get my crowns. Hopefully that will solve the problem!