• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain with Temporary Crown?

S

sarahtonin16

Hi Everyone!

I got a temporary crown put on Monday, about a week ago, following a root canal over the summer.

The procedure went mostly smoothly (apparently my gums are too healthy which caused some problems with fitting the thing on) and recovery was going well (recovery from the root canal went well too).

But now my gums hurt - saltwater and Aleve only help so much. It's not agony by any means, but it is painful. It gets worse when I eat or drink something, when I talk, or sometimes when I yawn.

The tooth is one of my molars, and it's pressed up against my gums, and it's the gums in the back of the tooth that are causing issues, from what I can tell. I do have an allergy to metal, which is mostly an issue with earrings. I wouldn't mention it, but I don't know what's going on so I thought it might be helpful. The permanent crown will be, well, tooth-colored when it goes on in a few weeks.

I do plan on calling my dentist tomorrow, as soon as I get off work, and hopefully I can get in by the end of the year.

But my question is, is this normal? What could be the problem? It's kind of putting a damper on my Christmas, because eating isn't exactly the most fin thing right now.

Sorry this is so long, but thank you for your help in advance!

Temporary crowns, in my experience, can be super uncomfortable. They don't tend to fit nearly as well as the permanent ones. When are you supposed to get the permanent one?

Temporary crowns, in my experience, can be super uncomfortable. They don't tend to fit nearly as well as the permanent ones. When are you supposed to get the permanent one?

So then could it be a problem of it not fitting right?

The 21st of January, is when the appointment is (around that date). It wouldn't be so long, would normally be three weeks, but the office is going to be closed for a week around the time I would normally get the permanent one.

I have a petty high pain tolerance, and wouldn't be calling the office at all, but I'm worried about an infection -- and wouldn't want it to get worse if that's the case.

I'm not a dentist, but from everything I know, the temporary crowns are almost never as perfect a fit as the permanent ones. If there's a spot that's irritating your gums, the dentist may be able to adjust it to make it less uncomfortable.

I'm not a dentist, but from everything I know, the temporary crowns are almost never as perfect a fit as the permanent ones. If there's a spot that's irritating your gums, the dentist may be able to adjust it to make it less uncomfortable.

My gums are somehow feeling better today -- they still hurt a little, but not nearly as bad as they have been the past few days. Don't know why, but I hope this keeps up and I don't have to go in! :) I'll be doing mouthwash and still as usual (that helps more than the saltwater for some reason).

But is this something I might have to worry about with the permanent one, or do those usually not have any issues, because they're a better fit?

Thank you all for your help! :)

The permanent ones almost always fit better. Also, preparing the tooth for a crown can really irritate your gums. Hopefully they will keep settling down.

Thanks, me too! It was very nice to not be in constant pain today, so I hope this lasts. :)

Back