• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain?

R

ruru

The thread I made about it was deleted which is upsetting because I can't focus on typing it all out again but I want to know if I need to go through the ordeal if getting in touch with the dentist again or not.
I never know what counts as significant pain that I should mention. I had a tooth taken out a day and a half ago (because I didn't mention for months the constant ache) and the pain is worse, but is it bad? I can't tell what 'bad' is to a dentist. I'm scared, and I'm upset, and after hoping for some feedback in the thread that's now gone (will this one disappear too?) I feel like giving up on everything (well, the last few things which aren't many, I'm already in a seriously bad place). I can't tell at what point the pain merits having to face getting in touch with and going to the dentist. I'm sure it's not the dry thing (I saw the thing about if your first thread is about that it will be deleted, but my fear is infection and the pain not being severe enough to bother anyone with, and the out of hours service).

I guess I just... wait and see how bad the pain gets? Give it until the third day? I really don't know. I'm so bad at telling anyone how much something hurts (and where it hurts) and what counts as bad pain. How does anyone know/tell?

Dear ruru,

If your first post was about DS then it probably got deleted, it‘s rules and there is a good reason to it. Now to your pain. If I got you right, it‘s about you not being sure how bad is bad enough to bother. The answer to this is simple: you decide. If there is anything bothering you or worrying you (and as you are writing this post there clearly is) then it‘s worthy of being checked. No other person can decide whether it‘s bad enough or not (and if anyone ever gave you another feeling, do not believe them). In my opinion the most people who need help wait far too long to get in touch. Ironically, dentists get more upset about people who wait too long than about people who come in too early :)

So please, just give your practice a call and get it checked. If you do not feel comfortable at your current practice, look for a different one, but it‘s ok to get it looked at and it will give you peace of mind and hopefully a relief from the pain.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

I will, thank you so much for your reply. The hard thing is that where I'm at is a teaching practice so every year I have a new dentist which just adds to the stress - I have no idea who I'll get next time (I think the current dentist is okay, better with my anxiety than others but idk about clinical skill as I was the one to point at the dark patch on my x-ray and ask what it is, and then promptly freak out).

I guess the fact a full dose of painkillers hasn't helped means it's not good :(

(That's why I was confused, I didn't even mention DS)

The hard thing is that where I'm at is a teaching practice so every year I have a new dentist which just adds to the stress - I have no idea who I'll get next time

What a bummer as trust and familiarity is the main thing when it comes to beating anxiety... anyway, hope you get an appointment soon and help with the pain. I think there is nothing as good or bad in dentistry, it‘s about what is happening and how they can help you and they surely will be able to help.

Well I phoned and got an appointment for 45 minutes later which is amazing. It wasn't with my dentist, it was with my partner's which wasn't too bad in regards I know he's good at what he does (I asked about changing to one of the permanent dentists, and he explained it might not be possible because the NHS spaces are all filled, but talk to my dentist on Tuesday).

But I'm just... I can't do this again? I burst into panicked hyperventilating tears three times and spent all the rest of it sobbing, shaking and crying. It turns out there's a complication, so added onto the pain I now have to face another of my worst fears: medication. I've been prescribed antibiotics and I'm petrified of them, and also so mortified at how I cried so much. I'm in tears again now I just want it to all be over.

I did get there though. And I endured him poking around. I think the pain would have been more if I'd waited so I guess this was a painful pain. Thank you for the encouragement to get in touch with them.

Hi ruru, your post wasn’t deleted - it was filtered by the Akismet spam matcher and has now been approved! This sometimes happens for example if an IP address (which can be shared with many other people) has previously been reported for spam.

It’s good you went in despite the fear and got an antibiotic prescribed. Your instincts about the pain were correct. I hope you are feeling relief from the antibiotics quickly! Keep us posted.

Back