• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Painful infection AFTER tooth drainage

J

Jerbsinator

Two of my back teeth have been infected for a while and I didn't really notice as the symptoms were mild, for a while anyway. Well I noticed one day that a rather large bubble appeared in my gums near the roof of my mouth under those teeth. I don't think it is an abscess tho, it seems far too large and is very sensitive when pushed on and it does not seem to pus like other abscesses I have had. If I press on it (ignoring the pain) it feels like it is hard (when it's not swollen).

I am now undergoing treatment and both teeth were recently drilled out for drainage, the dentist successfully reached the roots. Well a few hours after the drainage this bubble has become extremely painful and the pain does not subside like it used to. With Ibuprofen it becomes manageable for a while but I can still feel the swelling and it still hurts enough that I think about it. It feels like the bubble is huge when it's swollen and it is extremely sensitive to touch. I can still eat on the teeth for the most part, it only becomes difficult when eating something hard. There is something in my gums that is persistent and isn't draining through the tooth.

Could this be a cyst or some kind of bone infection? Here is my dilemma, I'm sure most of you would probably say "Get it extracted" but I really really don't want to do that. Do you think a apicoectomy (opening the gum, extracting infected tissue and removing root tip) would solve this problem without losing the tooth? I want to go this route but I need to finish the root canal in order to do an apicoectomy and I'm scheduled to go back in another 3 weeks to finish (if it's healed). The problem with that is I don't know if I can stand this pain for three weeks it is very bad at times, ibuprofen does help it but I'm sure my liver hates me at this point. I am also on Amoxcicillin but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm really worried about all of this and really wish I knew about this before it became such a huge problem. Now I'm stuck and I don't know what to do, it's frightening.

It's probably an acute infection coming through from the abscessed tooth, quite often if there's a lot of infection above the root then it can escape out through the bone...
Hopefully it will improve as the abscess clears.

I don't want to be too optimistic as it seems like I have been having setback after setback with my teeth but the past 48 hours have had a decent improvement. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and the large bump that was there before the draining has reduced significantly. The flesh is very soft and sensitive around where it was but it's definitely improved. Still moderate amount of pain and swelling there but it has improved enough where I do not need pain meds anymore. I'm hopeful that if this keeps up maybe it will entirely drain and I won't need a apicoectomy after all....here's hoping.

I remember when the dentist was doing my drain that when he finally pierced into the roots at the bottom i mentioned that I felt it a little bit (I was not numbed as the tooth was dead). He commented that maybe the nerve was still a little bit alive but was on it's way out. I thought nothing of it at the time but I now suspect that he actually pierced into the bubble or infection or whatever it was and that is what caused the swelling. Either way I am a lot more optimistic now about all this and hopefully it continues to improve.

Back