• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Palatal injection for a crown prep?

S

snapper

Is it normal to have a palatal injection as well as an injection on the outer gum for a crown prep? They are painful!

I do have concerns that the numbing injection wont work and the dentist will drill on a tooth that will cause horrendous pain. I do get a little fidgety, panic and have been know to grab at dentists. He did say he would push the gums back to explore for decay and put a piece of cord around the tooth, not sure why that is?

The procedure was otherwise painless, but just wondering about the palate injection.

Is it normal to have a palatal injection as well as an injection on the outer gum for a crown prep? They are painful!

I do have concerns that the numbing injection wont work and the dentist will drill on a tooth that will cause horrendous pain. I do get a little fidgety, panic and have been know to grab at dentists. He did say he would push the gums back to explore for decay and put a piece of cord around the tooth, not sure why that is?

The procedure was otherwise painless, but just wondering about the palate injection.

Snapper - I am confused, have you had the palatal injection and it hurt but apart from that all was well?

Painless injections are all in the dentist's technique even for palatal. Glad you are getting it sorted either way.

The cord is to push the gum back to fully expose the edge of the crown preparation so that there's a nice clear impression which means that the lab can get a nice margin on the crown.

Equally puzzled about the injection question, sometimes a palatal injection is needed for a crown prep but not usually.

Sorry both, just wondered if a palatal injection was necessary for a crown prep. There must be alternative techniques less painful when doing this procedure.

The dentist did get the area good and numb though, he seems like one of the good guys.

Gordon, would you use a palatal injection for a crown prep?

I've had to do it once or twice in the last 30 years of being a full time dentist :)

Back