• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Palatal injection

M

Marysrose

Having my front tooth extracted and getting a perm bridge. I was told I need a palatal roof of mouth shot and Im terrified. Does it hurt as bad as Im reading? Im a cancer survivor and prefer sedation but sadly this dentist does not do it. I have xanax for anxiety that I take as needed. How awful is this shot?

I had this injection for root canal on an upper molar (it’s the roof of the mouth one, right?). It was over very quickly, and got me properly numb. I’m a needle phobic rather than a dental phobic, and if I needed to have it again, i know I would absolutely be able to handle it. It was no worse than the nerve block one that goes at the back of your jaw. (Obviously I don’t love either - I faint if I have to get a blood test though!)

I told the endodontist in adavance that I am scared of needles, and he was very kind and calming - he actually had the nurse hold my hand. I think you will be fine, just make sure you have somethjng nice to look forward to afterwards. I planned a “treat” for after each appointment as a reward for getting through them!

I had one a few years back. It was certainly more uncomfortable than a typical injection, you can hear it cracking in your ear. However, it wasn't too bad and is over quickly.

Topical gels can be applied to numb the area prior to injection which will greatly reduce the discomfort.

I had to have one for a front tooth too - not fun but it was over fast. The sensation made my eyes water and nose run but I usually cry having work done anyway so that part felt oddly “normal”. It really isn’t THAT much worse than the other injections, especially if you have a gentle dentist with good technique. Remember, you’re a survivor - you’ll get through this too! Sending good thoughts your way.

easy with great technique but a difficult injection to give comfortably.

I had some bad experiences with a needle there, until I met a new dentist (fresh out of school), who used her thumb to press on the area, along *with* the needle. That spreads the pain around in a much larger area and makes it just feel like any other dental needle. Actually, all it really felt like was her pushing her thumb on my palate! After that, if I had a new dental practitioner (endodontist, periodontist, etc.), I asked them to use that technique.

Having my front tooth extracted and getting a perm bridge. I was told I need a palatal roof of mouth shot and Im terrified. Does it hurt as bad as Im reading? Im a cancer survivor and prefer sedation but sadly this dentist does not do it. I have xanax for anxiety that I take as needed. How awful is this shot?

I have had the palatal shot three times recently, and I am not going to lie and say it doesn't hurt. However, it isn't as bad as you are probably imagining either. I have always hated shots in the mouth, even with the topical numbing. The first two times I had it, I had laughing gas. The last time, I had a root canal on the front tooth, and my dentist does not do sedationat all. She pressed against the roof of my mouth with her mirror while she did the shot, which helped a lot! It made me think about the pressure instead of the pain.

Breathr deeply while they are doing it, in and out through your nose. That helps, too.

Update....had my tooth extracted 2 hours ago. No palatal injection just a regular shot well 2 total directly in front tooth area in front. No pain. Hate thos flipper. Gp back in 2 weeks to hopefully begin perm bridge.

Hi,

If the dentist uses specific injection technologies such as WAND or Quicksleeper, no need anaesthetise the palate at all.
If the dentist uses traditional anesthesia, there are ways to lessen the discomfort dramatically.
Whatever the dentist chooses to do, they have to invest time (1-2 minutes) in anaesthetising the palate comfortably.

Back