• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Palate injections?!

A

asw8082

I'm gearing up to have my upper left last molar extracted. I keep hearing about roof of the mouth shots to numb. Is this required to have an upper molar removed or can it be done with the normal jaw/cheek injection?

Everytime I've had any upper teeth extracted I've gotten several shots in the roof of my mouth. So has my husband. I had the dental assistant give me mine and she was better at it than the dentist.She used numbing gel first then gave me the shots. And I think they still give you shots in the cheek too...

Generally speaking, for a tooth extraction in the upper jaw requires annesthising the palate.
Having said that, there are situations in which no shot in the actual roof of the mouth is required. In addition, there are ways to give such an injection without pain. It is all a question of the dentist investing time in this injection. For me it takes about 60 seconds to have this shit done and then the patient feels mild pressure and no pain. However, if the dentist injects forcefully and fast, it will be painful.

Back