• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Palate injections?!

A

asw8082

I'm gearing up to have my upper left last molar extracted. I keep hearing about roof of the mouth shots to numb. Is this required to have an upper molar removed or can it be done with the normal jaw/cheek injection?

lillyh

lillyh

Everytime I've had any upper teeth extracted I've gotten several shots in the roof of my mouth. So has my husband. I had the dental assistant give me mine and she was better at it than the dentist.She used numbing gel first then gave me the shots. And I think they still give you shots in the cheek too...

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Generally speaking, for a tooth extraction in the upper jaw requires annesthising the palate.
Having said that, there are situations in which no shot in the actual roof of the mouth is required. In addition, there are ways to give such an injection without pain. It is all a question of the dentist investing time in this injection. For me it takes about 60 seconds to have this shit done and then the patient feels mild pressure and no pain. However, if the dentist injects forcefully and fast, it will be painful.