• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panaramic xray and bitewing xray

S

sasha1

Hi everyone,
My dental appointment went well and I'm about to go post in the success forum... but I did have one question.

I had panoramic xray and bitewing xray done. Do either of these check for cavities in the front teeth? I just read that panoramic xrays are not done for cavities. So how do they know I don't have cavities in the front? i'm really confused. You'd think they would check that given that I was worried about it... I read on Web MD that panoramics don't check for dental caries.

thanks

How do dentists find front teeth cavities if there's no tool to check with? Bitwings are for back teeth. Panoramic is for structure. I guess I should go back to the dentist then, right? I'm having pain in my front tooth. I told my hygeinist that I was worried about having cavities in my front teeth. But apparently nothing was done to check. I'm not even sure what tools they have to check? I mistakenly thought panoramics check for cavities. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I would think if you have a cavity in the front it will be easliy seen. Bitewings help diagnose in the back teeth due to all the pits, fissuers and tight spaces between them. It also shows calculus under the gum and bone loss. The front teeth are thinner and more translucent, so with that bright light shining down on them, any abnormal areas would be easliy spotted after a clean.

Back