• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic attack with top denture

S

Suek67

Can anyone tell me this will get better.
I had to have top dentures after loosing teeth. I struggled for 3 years to keep my top denture in more than an hour so stopped going out, I’d even take them out as soon as I got in the car, I was referred to a dental hospital and have now lost all teeth on the bottom. Its hard to explain but I get panic attacks and feel anxious while the top are in. I have to calm myself down and regulate my breathing or go to the loo and take them out for 10 mins, if that doesn’t I work I leave and go, it’s so hard to explain I feel like claustrophobic in my mouth, which I know sounds so silly. I can only on liken it to what it would feel like to be gagged.

I’ve tried so hard to start afresh with this new set I only got yesterday and I can’t cope already I just end up in tears most of the day because I don’t know what to do or how I can help myself get along with these dentures. Can anyone help.

It's not really a dental issue, so you need to seek help outside of dentistry.

I'd start by making an appointment with your medical GP, you'd be looking for a referral for either NLP (euro-linguistic programming) or hypnotherapy.

It's not really a dental issue, so you need to seek help outside of dentistry.

I'd start by making an appointment with your medical GP, you'd be looking for a referral for either NLP (euro-linguistic programming) or hypnotherapy.
It is also a dental issue as my bottom dentures slide about as my gums are so flat it’s nearly impossible to keep them in

You didn't mention that in your original posting.

Bottom dentures do move around, unfortunately. Most people learn to manage them after a bit of practice, which you don't appear to be getting at the moment?

If you were my patient, I'd advise leaving the bottom denture aside for a short time until you manage to wear the top one successfully. Not for too long but 2 or 3 days at least.

Most people won't be able to notice if you've got bottom teeth in or not and chewing etc can be done reasonably well without them. Once you're happier wearing the top denture you can try adding the lower one again.

Next thing is to set yourself a short time target for the top denture, say 10 minutes. Once you hit that comfortably, then extend it to 15, then 20 and so on.

Sorry I didn’t mention. I’m just so stressed. I’ve had top dentures for three years and have tried everything even building up time. I just can’t get used to the feeling of f not being able to breath properly. Every time my tongue touches it it starts me panicking again. Because I haven’t been able to wear it my bite had changed a lot. After having my bottom remaking teeth out I can’t wear my top dentures alone as the the front hits my bottom gums and gets painful.
I just don’t know what to do. If I go out it’s never for long, about an hour is all I can cope with and I need to get the top out as quick as I can.
I have no life outside my hole and rarely see anyone for weeks at a time as I live alone. I’m so sad and I’m tears everytime I try. It’s ruining my life ( well what but I have). I feel like I’m just waiting till I pass away ??

Hi Suek67, are they full top dentures?

Yes they are.

Hi Suek67,
I have had two patients with similar issues, but much more extreme. They ended up seeing a local hypnotherapist. They were both cured in a handful of visits. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it. So my advice would be to give it a go. The tricky bit will be finding out who is a really good hypnotherapist.

Best of luck

Lincoln

Tyre Hank’s. Yea that will be tricky finding a proper one

Back