• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic Attacks at the dentist, but fear of infection in my tooth

C

CatLi

Hello everyone,

I’m located in the United States and just a quick backstory. I had this tooth break back in end of July, early August. I’ve repeatedly brought it up to dentists (my old one and former new one), but they wanted to finish working on the tooth that needed a crack first. Unfortunately, I had a panic attack at the dentist for the first time during the measurement for the crown and my dentist got furious. I took emergency anxiety medication and made it through the reschedule and the crown placement with no issues. However, after the dentist told me he wasn’t going to see me again due to my panic attack the first time. So now I have the cracked tooth which hurts and no dentist, as no one wants to see me till March, and frankly I’m scared to go anyway.

So, it has started to hurt now. I’m not sure which number it is, but it’s the second mollar from the back (no wisdom teeth).

I’m scared it’s infected in the tooth. The tooth hurts on and off (hurts bad if I push on it) and the gum hurts badly when you touch it. The gum also appears white and maybe a bit swollen but it’s hard not squishy. My entire right jaw hurts although I think that started before the tooth pain. Also it seemed to come from different locations on my jaw depending on the day, so that might not be related to my tooth at all.

I’m just really scared because these past few days I’ve started not feeling well. My nose is stuffed, my throat hurts, especially when I swallow and sometimes I have a headache and stomach pain. I just generally feel unwell. Im a Type 1 Diabetic so people always tell me I am more prone to have problems with an infection.

I am scared if there is an infection, it will go to my brain and kill me or cause me to faint or have seizures. I know one person who had one pop and caused them to pass out because it went towards their brain and I’m hyper focusing on the potential of infection so much that it’s ruining my day to day life at the moment.

I am scared if there is an infection, it will go to my brain and kill me or cause me to faint or have seizures. I know one person who had one pop and caused them to pass out because it went towards their brain and I’m hyper focusing on the potential of infection so much that it’s ruining my day to day life at the moment.
No it won't.
You do need to get a dentist to sort this out for you. Is there any dentist available to see you at short notice for an emergency appointment?

@Gordon I’m currently in progress of doing that. I have dental insurance that I’m waiting for to kick in because the crown and root canal I just had done were all of pocket.

I guess I’ve just freaked myself out because of course I start to become ill shortly after the tooth starts hurting more regularly, and my anxiety immediately associated the two as being related and potentially really dangerous. Then I start sniffing around Google for stories, and of course I’m going to find the occasional story since I’m looking for them.

Also, my teeth are far from good but they’re not the worst either. I have known people who’s teeth are breaking off in chunks and they’re in constant pain, I feel for them. I’ve only got pain in this one tooth and while most of my teeth have small cavities or will need a small filling all but two are still fully intact.

My panic disorder just likes to find the worst example of things and focus on that forever, especially with the throat pain being the biggest complaint and having heard your throat can close if the infection gets too bad and causes facial/neck swelling

My panic disorder just likes to find the worst example of things and focus on that forever, especially with the throat pain being the biggest complaint and having heard your throat can close if the infection gets too bad and causes facial/neck swelling
That's almost always the case, people do always seem to focus on their worst nightmares.
Even in a worst case scenario, the throat swelling business takes 24-36 hrs before it gets really bad, plenty of time to get to an ER. In the first world at least.