• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic Disorder and Dental Phobia. Getting IV please help.

F

Fynaticx

Hi im James

Due to dental phobia and panic disorder i didnt go to the dentist from about age 11 to 20 when i started to get so much pain that i forced myself through the procedure. After a few emergency extractions i went to a new dentist to get IV sedation for the rest of my work. After 2 sessions i got 21 fillings done and 2 root canals done and became dentally fit. i enjoyed just over 2 years of feeling great only going to the dentist every 6 months for a check up.

However then due to a huge amount of drama and changes in my family i became depressed and my panic attacks got really bad again. During this time i stopped getting my check ups as i could not leave my house so simply just had to hope for the best nothing would go wrong till im better mentally to take on the dentist again.

August 2017 was my turning point when i finally managed to start beating my depression and panic attacks again to get out on small walks and feeling a bit happier with my life. Since then i continued to improve slowly but surely towards a better future where i can do the things i want and need again

Now we get to last week where one of my fillings is visibly damaged and sensitive. After living so many years with tooth ache ruining my life i refused to let myself go down that road again so i got a emergency dentist appointment for that day to be checked. I went from short 10-20 min long walks to a 30 min drive and dentist appointment in that one day which was terrifying.

In the appointment i was told its not a serious problem but i would need it fixed up which my dentist offered to do there and then but due to how terrified i was i said i needed to call it there and go relax. From that ive now booked my appointments coming up this week on Wednesday and Thursday to get IV sedation done again to fix my tooth. The first appointment is just my assessment then the day after is my procedure.

Im asking you all here to encourage me and share advice on how to get this done as despite remembering the IV sedation from before going okay its been so long since then and im still not fully in good mental health yet.

What if im in a massive panic attack will the IV sedation still work?
Will it be any different from the last times i had it done?
all these questons and more rushing through my head day after day.

thank you for taking the time and i hope to get some help soon

Hi, I just want to tell you that you are far from the only one who has panic attacks and anxiety, it's so common and I'm so sorry that you are a sufferer-i am too. I'm having IV sedation in a couple of weeks and I'm very anxious about it. From what I've read on this forum though, it's really nothing to worry about and you won't have a panic attack during the procedure. As you said in your post, you've had sedation before and it went fine so I'm sure this time will go just as well. It's just your anxiety putting fear and doubt into your mind. When I get those horrible type of anxious thoughts, I think about how good it's going to feel when I'm pain free, when all the work I need is behind me and I can be of proud of my smile and not be constantly worried and anxious. You are doing the right thing by realizing that you need to start going to the dentist again, it's a very brave and courageous thing to do and you will feel much better when you get to a dentist. I wish you all the best and remember-you CAN do this!

Hi there, you’re not alone. I have anxiety and get panic attacks from time to time and I need IV Sedation to have procedures done at the dentist. I also asked my dentist if he could prescribe Valium for me to take an hour before my actual appointment so I wouldn’t be in full panic attack mode right before Sedation. Maybe this is something that you can ask your dentist for? Most are very accommodating when they know they have a nervous patient. My guy actually prescribed two for me...one to take the night before so I could be calm to sleep, and another to take one hour before my sedated surgery. Like you I had Sedation before but couldn’t recall exactly what it was like because it had been years. Rest assured it does actually work like it’s supposed to, even if we’re doubtful that it will. It’s just our minds running away with us. Ask your dentist about taking something prior to your appointment and explain that you may have a hard time sitting in the chair without it. Please keep us posted.

I feel your anxiety on this I have to have 11 teeth out when I don’t know as there is a waiting list I’m so scared of having iv sedation and really don’t know what to expect as never had it done before. From what I have read on this site seems to help with all the positive outcomes with iv sedation but I’m still a little scared of what the feelings I’m gonna have ,I really hate being light headed Also I’m going to be without teeth for 8 weeks after so I won’t be going anywhere or seeing anybody

As a update i went to my assessment and he spoted a few other things he can get done while im under IV so i had to cancel the appointment the day after and book another one for what happens to be today now. After this i would be dentally fit again and get a chance to focus on other issue in my life. As im writing this im 3 hours away from my final IV sedation.

Before this ive practiced really hard against my fears and panic dissorder. Ive been the furthest away from home ive ever been in over 2 years just to push myself to my limits. Right now im still relatively scared but anyone who experiences bad dental phobia like me knows that living with worries about your teeth or leaving the appointment to another time just drags on the anxiety for longer. Obviously im going to do my very best today and i hope i can go through with this and finally put my worries to rest.

Ill update in a few days or so after the sedative has made its way out of my body. Lets hope for a happy ending!

As a update i went to my assessment and he spoted a few other things he can get done while im under IV so i had to cancel the appointment the day after and book another one for what happens to be today now. After this i would be dentally fit again and get a chance to focus on other issue in my life. As im writing this im 3 hours away from my final IV sedation.

Before this ive practiced really hard against my fears and panic dissorder. Ive been the furthest away from home ive ever been in over 2 years just to push myself to my limits. Right now im still relatively scared but anyone who experiences bad dental phobia like me knows that living with worries about your teeth or leaving the appointment to another time just drags on the anxiety for longer. Obviously im going to do my very best today and i hope i can go through with this and finally put my worries to rest.

Ill update in a few days or so after the sedative has made its way out of my body. Lets hope for a happy ending!

I just wanted to tell you that you rock! For real, you are SO incredibly brave to push past the fear and do what you need to do in order to feel better! Be very very proud of yourself and give yourself a huge hug! I’d give you one if I could, I know all too well the paralysis anxiety causes. Sometimes it’s hard to leave my house to do something fun, never mind going to the dentist.

It sounds to me like you have a good dentist who understands anxiety and how important it is for you to have as few appointments as possible and to be comfortable. That’s 90% of the battle. My dentist isn’t exactly the warmest most comforting man on earth, but he certainly understands I have anxiety and is good about relieving that for me. Please let us know how you’re doing when you can, and do something incredibly nice for yourself when you’re feeling 100%! You’ve certainly earned it!?

Am getting really nervous now have a consultation tommorrow monday 4th June about having my teeth out can't stop shaking and my anxiety is gonna go through the roof tommorrow morning any ideas how I can stop thinking like this please really don't know what to expect

Am getting really nervous now have a consultation tommorrow monday 4th June about having my teeth out can't stop shaking and my anxiety is gonna go through the roof tommorrow morning any ideas how I can stop thinking like this please really don't know what to expect

Shazzie, I'm so sorry that you are feeling so afraid for your appointment. I have had a lot of appointments in the last 8 months and it was a nightmare for me too UNTIL I had IV sedation. I know it's hard to believe but in reality it really isn't anything to get all upset about, though you probably won't believe me until you've experienced it for yourself. I have written a lot about my experiences with IV sedation in the journal part of the forum, hopefully that will help you. Reading other's experiences on here really helped me to get through it and of course, the fact that I really needed AND wanted the dental work done. It's really almost a pleasurable experience because your fear and anxiety disappear and it's as though you are asleep and then when you wake up, it's all over!
If you want to ask me any questions about my experiences then please PM me or ask here, I'm happy to help. Feeling anxious is really normal, dental work is very difficult for many people, for many reasons, so please know that you're not alone.
I'm here for you, and so are many others; don't suffer alone ?

Back