• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicked by being put to sleep.

F

Freidab

I am scheduled for full top extraction and some bone removal. And all but 4 pulled on the bottom. Its November 12. I have put it off for years. I have severe dental anxiety. It has almost put me in a mental ward. I know I need it done I want it over with. But I am so scared. My biggest fear is I will die. I am a extreme control freak.

I'm a control freak too, and know exactly how you feel about dying under the anaesthetic. What got me through my full extractions and the being put to sleep factor, was realizing how rare a death is under those circumstances. It's about the same odds of winning the lottery, so I knew that I would almost certainly survive. Kept telling myself about the odds and it helped a lot. Not completely, but a lot. I also used the Fermi method and took the population of my city (6,000,000 people), tried to figure out how many dentists would have practises here, how many people each day had extractions at each office, etc. and came to the conclusion that there were a LOT of people doing this every day with no harm. Good luck.

Hi Freidab, first of all: well done on getting this scheduled. It sounds like it‘s a huge step for you! May I ask you what kind of sedation will you have? Is it general anesthesia or rather sedation?

Back