• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicking about black marks on bottom front teeth...

S

SapphireGirl

I am panicking a bit.
I went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years and he said I needed 2 fillings and a possible root canal. Treatment for all has begun.
I told him that as well as the pain in both sides of my mouth (upper sides which needed filling), I was also getting a severe pain in one of my bottom front teeth. I told him that I could see slight decay around both sides of this particular tooth. However, when he told me what I would need doing, he didn't mention this tooth and instead said I have to make sure I am brushing properly to get rid of all the tartar build up. Is that what he thinks the black marks are? I am no longer experiencing pain in the area since I had the filling done on the upper side of my mouth so maybe it was all connected to a nerve? However I am worried that the decay/tartar will get worse and cause pain. Should I start flossing? Surely my dentist wouldn't leave it if it was decayed. :(

Hi Sapphiregirl,
We are all human and it is possible he missed something. However, all my years of experience tell me it is more likely that this tooth did not need treatment, and the pain you felt in it is what we call referred pain. This is when a problem with one tooth is actually felt in another tooth. The pain can be referred from the back of the mouth to the front or from the upper teeth to the lower teeth. The only thing it cannot do is be referred from the left side to the right side and vice versa as the nerve supply on the left and right are completely separate.
It is most likely that the black marks are either harmless staining, scale or areas of discoloured tooth that do not require filling. So when you next see your dentist, tell point them out and he will double check for you.
By the way, I would start flossing as it is one of the best ways of preventing dental problems.

Hope this helps
Lincoln

Back