• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Paranoid and terrified..

D

DownInTheGutters

Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum. I have found my way here thanks to Google and my extreme paranoia..

I've recently gotten my first crown. I am determined to do all that I can to ensure it has a long lifespan before needing to be replaced. However I also have roughly 8 or 9 cavities. I have had cavities filled in the past and haven't thought much about it. I somehow manage to go on as if nothing has ever changed. This time is different though.

My cavities are located primarily between my most upfront top and bottom teeth. This is causing me an INCREDIBLE amount of stress.. I've been doing research and I've read that composite fillings only last around 5-7 years.. and when they begin to fail or need to be replaced, some tooth structure unfortunately is taken with it.

I am only 20. My appointment to begin some of my fillings is in five days and as the day grows closer I grow more fearful.. fearful that my dentist, who is relatively new to me after I have moved, will deliver me with some bad news. He hasn't mentioned any more crowns but I'm unsure if that is because he hasn't looked over all of my x-rays yet.. The problem I am struggling with the most is the idea of having to replace my composite fillings when I get them done (because they are between my front teeth and I don't want any metals altering my appearance) and having to replace them every 5 to 7 years seems AWFUL. I can't find a way for me to cope with the idea of filling my rather small, maybe some more moderate cavities located between my front teeth. Is it true that they can only be filled so many times before all of those teeth will need crowns or implants? The thought of losing my front teeth makes me feel sad, hopeless and like there's no way out.. The extreme cost for crowns and implants is way more than I can afford. I feel like a complete and utter failure for neglecting my teeth and as if it's too late for me to start my journey to healthy teeth... I feel dentures are inevitable for me.

If anyone has any support, reassurance, tips or advice they can offer me.. I would appreciate it more than ever! I am exhausted from worrying myself sick with these thoughts.. and no amount of reading on the internet has helped me one bit.. in fact it has even made things worse. So here I am, please help...

Dg6300

Dg6300

You’re going to make it. Hang in there.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi DownInTheGutters :welcome:,

sorry to read how much you worry and let me give the good news straight away: most of the things you believe about fillings is not true. Reading your post you basically are afraid of having to get a new filling every five years while getting rid of more and more healthy tooth until there is nothing left, right? That won't be the case. Here is why:

Composite fillings can last 10-15 years if taking good care of them. This is just an approximate number (which the patients at the practice I worked at were told when it came to deciding which filling material to get) and you will find a slightly different number depending on where you take a look. This is just a number and depends on many many factors, but it really doesn't work like people are coming back every five years to get their fillings replaced. If it helps, my composite fillings are about ten years old now and still fine.

It is true that some tooth structure goes when a filling gets replaced, but we are not talking about a quarter of a tooth here, but more about tiny tiny little bits that are interesting microscopically but won't really have that huge impact on the life time of your tooth. By the way, composite is a material that allows minimal tooth loss, because your dentist doesn't have to get a certain form into the tooth to be able to place it. I love discussing filling materials but won't bore you with details here, so lets leave it at the note that you won't lose your teeth :)

Last but not least you certainly are not a failure, on the contrary: you are talking great care of your teeth and being serious about it (never met a 20-year old who would care about details of filling materials before!). Getting all problems sorted and then keeping on attending for check-ups and cleanings is the best way to go so you are doing great so far. There are many many people who get dental work at your age so do not worry about this. You certainly are on your way to prevent problems and NOT to get dentures.

All the best wishes and keep us posted as you get on, fingers crossed tightly for you not to need any more crowns!

M

MountainMama

I have had a composite filling on my upper front tooth since I was 8, and I am 39 now. It was badly chipped when I was 8. I had it redone when I was 18, not because there was anything structurally wrong with it, but because I got braces off, and the filling was thicker than the tooth. My front teeth had been very crooked and overlapping.

I couldn't really even tell that it was redone, as they only increased the filling by a teeny bit. It hasn't been redone since, and never had any problems. The tooth itself had issues from the childhood injury, but the filling is still sound.

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have many composite fillings (I’ve honestly lost count). I’ve had them all 10+ years. Only one recent broke and needed to be replaced. It’s on a molar and takes a lot of force. Having it replaced was super quick and it looks and feels the same as before. The rest of my filling continue to be totally fine all this time later.