• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial denture advice

C

Cass

I have had 2 teeth missing for over 8 years and I absolutely hate the gap but I have recently (with the help of my partner) made a dentist appointment about starting the process of getting a partial. My appointment is 4 days away and I'm starting to panic about it. I definitely do not was implants or anything like that as that's way to scary for me!! My question is what is the process of getting a partial? All my teeth are in good condition so I'm hoping it will be straight forward but haven't got a clue. Even really worried about what the "mould" of my teeth will be like, how long it will take or if it will feel like my teeth will come out when they remove it or something. I know I'm probably getting worked up over nothing but any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you you and I hope this makes sense :)

Hi you won't feel any pain at all. When they take the impression it won't feel like your teeth are being sucked out when they remove the material. I am not over keen on having impressions taken but I don't fear them. It is a putty like stuff, they use a tray that is shaped like a horse shoe and put the putty in it. They then place this over your teeth and ask you to bite down as hard as you can. It is a bit uncomfortable but not painful at all. When they remove it it is done gently and slowly and doesn't pull on your teeth at all.

Have you considered a bridge, this might be better than a partial. This does involve drilling so if you don't like drills a partial would be the way to go. You can still get a partial and change your mind about bridges or implants later on anyway.

When the partial is made they will check it fits and you are done. Sometimes you may get sore spots from it or the plate may need altering but all this is done on the partial and can be done away from your mouth.

It isn't something to worry about, try and relax. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

Back