• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial Denture Advise

J

J1M_MARSHA11

Hi All

New to the forum so Hi

I have recently had my top front three teeth extracted (on Wednesday) and a partial plastic denture added for my front 3 as well as a tooth each side of mouth that were taken out years ago (would say 3rd or 4th teeth either side of my front three)

can I ask people’s opinion on the timeframe to get used to them, when you can actually start talking properly and what type of foods I should be able to eat this early on - I have only really eaten soup, yoghurt and ice cream and have struggled with anything else I have tried (chicken, noodles, spaghetti Bol and toast)

currently feel really shitty and in a situation where I am regretting my decision (even though I know it needed to happen)

anyway would be great peoples thoughts

thanks in advance

Hi J1M_MARSHA11 :welcome:,

sorry to read about how you feel about your new denture, it sounds like this is giving you a hard time. I don‘t have experience myself, but I know many people who got through the process and while the beginning can be really challenging and look hopeless, you will eventually be able to get used to them. There are whole forums for people who are getting dentures, just because it can be so hard at the beginning.

When it comes to the time to get used to them, according to our thread about dentures here, it can be one week for every decade of your age and the more you talk with them, the better things will get. You may find some reassurance and useful advice in that post and also in this article.

Some people need to have the denture adjusted for few times until it feels comfortable, so if you feel it doesn‘t sit properly, your dentist will be happy to adjust it for you.

Hope this helps and hope you soon get some replies from people who went through the process. What I know is that your decision was a healthy one and no matter how difficult things are now, you will be fine once the adjustment phase is over. Hang in there and feel free to vent here at any time.

All the best wishes
:grouphug:

When I got my first partial denture I remember regretting it too. Was mad I cheaped out and didn't go for implants. I remember thinking I'd never eat properly again. After the swelling finally totally resolved and your gum tissue gets used to the partial it immediately becomes easier because theres no discomfort and the fit is so much better. I always found with my partial that adhesive was very helpful. Eat slowly and thoughtfully on soft foods while its healing. Then gradually practice with harder foods and eventually you will forget that you even have it in there and wont even think about it when you bite into a big juicey burger. Practice and patience goes a long way.

Back