• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial Denture Woes

C

Cowgirl1

Hello! I had 3 upper front teeth extracted 6 days ago. I had an immediate partial denture put in. Once the numbness went away, I realized the plastic(acrylic) sides go right to the bottom of the rest of my real teeth and the denture goes all the way to the back of my mouth. This makes eating ANYTHING impossible, and every time I bite down, My bottom real teeth hit the plastic part all around. I’ve literally skipped lunch at work because I couldn’t even gum soft food with the piece in my mouth. I have another appointment in a few days, but I wanted to know if this is normal?? Is this something that can be fixed so that I don’t have to pull them out in public every time I eat, because that would be really humiliating and I’m already self conscious enough about having dentures in my mid twenties and also about my speech... any help is appreciated

It sounds like a normal acrylic denture, they generally are made to cover as much of the mouth as possible in order to spread the load around and get some suction to retain them.
There will be a bit of shrinkage where your natural teeth were removed from so usually the denture is made slightly larger to accommodate this. Have you gone back to the dentist for a review yet? Immediate dentures always need some adjustment inside the first couple of weeks, unless you're phenomenally lucky.

In addition to what Gordon has already said, we've also got a Dentures FAQ page with lots of info :).

Please let us know how you get on!

hi cowgirl1 just wondering if you have an update on how you are getting on now with your partial denture? I'm new to this group and currently had a partial dentures fitted yesterday and current struggling they feel loose yet I can't seem to move them and take them out either joined this group today in hope of finding info tips and other partial denture users x

Back