• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Metal Clasps and Partial Denture

A

Anxious

I need to do a partial denture. It's for my two front top teeth and my two top first molars (one on each side. 4 teeth in all.). I was wondering; would the denture grip on the second molars? Cause I don't want the metal clasps to grip on the teeth infront as they would show when I talk or smile. :grin: Thanks! (Hope I am using the right terminology! :hmm:)

I used to have a partial and no they do not grip and even with the clips you will still have to use adhesive.

Hi Anxious,

No one wants to show clasps when they smile... kind of gives the game away!

So how do you avoid them?

• Yes, it is often possible to clasp the second molars.
  • You can use tooth coloured clasps. These clasps can also be made out of transparent plastic. The problem with them is they are quite thick which can make them noticeable.
  • You can use semi-transparent clasps that grip the gum rather than the tooth. These look really good, however, your gums need to be really healthy or they will be damaged by this sort of clasp.
  • Precision attachments are special crowns that are placed on some of the remaining teeth and the denture can clip onto them without out clasps. These are terrific solutions but unfortunately, make the denture much more expensive.
Ask your dentist about these options.
Best of luck

Lincoln

Back