• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial Dentures?

A

APhobicQueen

Hi all,

Good news! I made it to the dentist! Bad news: I found out some of my teeth can’t be saved and need to be extracted. I’ll need partial dentures. Obviously, this was not ideal and my trauma kicked into high gear.

My questions regarding partial dentures: can I live a normal life? What is it like to have them? I have a high gag reflex, will this be a problem?

Extractions: what are they like? What will recovery be like? I’m so scared about the whole thing and just not having teeth and yeah.

Also, another question: I can’t have the extractions done yet, but the dentist didn’t tell me how long I can leave these teeth, is there a timeline? (These teeth are in the front and on either side of my front)? I’m also worried about eating or drinking anything.

Anything to ease my anxiety would be greatly appreciated ☺️

I have a plate denture for a snapped fron tooth its amazingly realistic . Took a while to get used to wearing it and on occasion is makes me gag . When it does i breathe through my nose and it passes .
Another alternative could be a permanent bridge or maryland again both very good and no gag to consider . Although these cannot be done until your gum has completely healed so you will have a denture while happens .

Extractions are never as bad as we all imagine. Once i asked my husband to record me after as i was so amazed at how easy it was. Although i cannot tolerate any more so opt for sedation .

If these teeth are at the front, then a partial denture shouldn't make you gag (I had an upper front partial years ago and even though I'm a super-gagger, it didn't trigger my reflex at all). Unfortunately though, the impression trays probably will. I have a full upper denture, and getting the impressions done was really, really difficult because of my easy gagging, and when I received the full denture, I couldn't keep it in for more than about 5 seconds, before having to spit it out. I WAS able to train myself out of my gagging issue though, by spending a week brushing the back of my tongue sideways for 15 seconds at a time, twice a day, and brushing further and further back each time. After a full week had passed, I was stunned to discover that I was able to just put the full denture in and keep it there from morning until night with no gagging whatsoever. I've also had impressions done for my bottom teeth since then, and my gag issue is all but gone for good. So, it might help you to avoid problems with the impressions by doing the gag training before you go to those appointments, but do it just beforehand, and not weeks early. Also, I always found children's trays much easier to handle, so you could ask your dentist to use those as well.

Thank you both for the replies! It definitely made me feel better about the whole process, even if it’s still anxiety inducing. It’s not as scary as it was!

@APhobicQueen Hey, just been reading through your post. Have you now had the partial dentures fitted? If so how are you getting on with them?

I think I am going to need one soon as its stressing me put so just want to get some info from people that have them x

@Mum1986 Unfortunately no! I haven’t actually started the process yet, not even with the extractions I need! Only because my phobia/trauma is so severe we opted for GA for the work, but the dates are far apart and it cost more money, which took a while to get together. I’ll be getting the extractions in November (maybe September if someone cancels) and then go three months without my front teeth, before getting the impressions and permanent partial done.

That being said, I’ve done lots and lots of research, and honestly, it’s going to be a journey for sure, but every single person has assured me that you do get used to partials, and that your life will be better than ever with them (versus having decaying, rotting teeth in the mouth.) It’s tough, yeah, especially at the beginning, but it does get better.

Sorry I can’t be of more help! But I’ll definitely be updating my journal with lots of information once I get the process started :)

Well I will look out for your updates! Hope everything goes well for you!

I have an appointment with the hygienist on Thursday, then I have to go to hospital for a full mouth X-ray and then I will be referred to get extractions under GA. So not sure if mine is going to take ages also?

The dentist hasn't actually said I need it yet, but ony right upper side I will have no back teeth left once they take them out so just pre-empting it so I can get my head round it!

So nice to hear that people have said it will be better, that makes me feel slightly better about it all!

Good luck with it all! Xxx

@Mum1986 Thank you! I hope the same for you!

I would think probably not, since my turnaround time seems to be out of the norm. Most people get theirs done within a few weeks or even a month or two from finding out they need them. If you do need them, yours will most likely be done before mine! I’ll be asking you how you’ve gotten on :ROFLMAO:

It’s good to start getting used to the idea for sure. I know one thing that has helped my stress levels (as much as they can be helped) is to talk about having partials in a positive way or even comedically. Like, now I’ll always have something to do on Halloween as a party trick. Or thinking about how I can smile without worrying how I look. Since both of my front teeth are coming out, I also dream of the day I can bite things again LOL

I’m glad it does! There’s a really positive reddit for dentures that is very encouraging as well. People post photos of their progress, ask for advice and give each other loads of encouragement and tips. Another user recommended it to me and it’s so lovely seeing how people have such beautiful smiles and so much confidence.

Again, good luck to you too and thank you! I’m sure you’ll have a gorgeous full smile in no time :grouphug:

Back