• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial root canal sensitive to hot and cold

N

nicnac

Hi all. I'm looking for advice. I have had alot of procedures done over the years, especially root canals!

I have a root canal started on an upper back right side molar back in March (my dentist practice does RC's in 2 visits). But with the Corona Virus I haven't been able to get in until this Friday, so it's been almost 4 months.

The root canal remained sensitive to hot and cold and had quite strong aches for a few weeks after the first treatment, then settled nicely. Now we are in June and it has suddenly become very hot and cold sensitive again. The ache is manageable, but it is also a wee bit tender to bite on. I understand that it hasn't been finished yet, but I'm so nervous it will need to be pulled. Does anyone know if this is normal, I always thought once the first session was done that especially the hot and cold part would not re-occur? I know from this forum that bacterial can still creep into an unfinished RC, but can this cause the sensitivity to hot and cold? I'm just very nervous I'll be told we can't proceed and I'll need to get it pulled. I would much prefer to keep it, it's sending me a bit paranoid, just need some reassurance. Thanks in advance!

Because the RCT hasn't been finished, the root canal system has been re-colonised by bacteria, hence the symptoms. Once it's been finished and the system is sealed up it'll be fine.

Because the RCT hasn't been finished, the root canal system has been re-colonised by bacteria, hence the symptoms. Once it's been finished and the system is sealed up it'll be fine.
Thanks for the reassurance Gordon. Does this go for the extreme hot and cold sensitivity too? I always thought this was a bad sign, even after a root canal had been started.

Yes, the heat sensitivity is likely to be gas build up in the canals, the cold could mean there's still a little bit of live nerve in there someplace or just the change in pressure due to temperature changes.

Thank you Gordon!! I feel SO much better about my appointment now.

Could I please ask a q? I too had root canal started in January and it got reinfected and was cleaned out at an urgent dental hub. Now it’s tender if I press it, it doesn’t hurt otherwise and I can clean with electric toothbrush. Is this normal? Is it just inflammation? It was tender when first done in January and settled down after a couple of weeks but it was drilled and shaped then whereas recently it’s just been cleaned. Just worried that it may be cracked or failing as a root canal. Thanks

Nicnac,

You mentioned your appt was on Friday. How did it go and how is your tooth and how are you feeling? Hope things went well!

Could I please ask a q? I too had root canal started in January and it got reinfected and was cleaned out at an urgent dental hub. Now it’s tender if I press it, it doesn’t hurt otherwise and I can clean with electric toothbrush. Is this normal? Is it just inflammation? It was tender when first done in January and settled down after a couple of weeks but it was drilled and shaped then whereas recently it’s just been cleaned. Just worried that it may be cracked or failing as a root canal. Thanks

It's normal, yes, same answers as to the original poster.

Thank you Gordon!

Nicnac,

You mentioned your appt was on Friday. How did it go and how is your tooth and how are you feeling? Hope things went well!
I'm so sorry I haven't seen your msg until now. Everything went really well and the tooth is now resolved ? thank you so much for asking!

That is awesome :) good to hear!

Back