• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial vs Full Denture

T

tiedye99

I don't have a fear of going to the dentist, my fear is making the wrong choice with what I have just been presented with.

In my upper gums, the only whole teeth are my front 4. The rest have had root canals, and over time crowns have been lost and the remaining portions of the teeth are broken. I have not had dental insurance. I'm in my mid-50's and feeling a little shamed that I'm at the point of wearing dentures.

I have to have the back broken teeth extracted with the following denture options:
1) a partial for both sides with smaller plate that hooks onto the front teeth
2) remove even the 4 good front teeth and go full denture.

I really need advise on what to do. The Dentist said he is fine with either way I choose, however we warned me that going with the partial that fills both sides in the back will rock when I eat because they don't have the support in the very back. He also stated that he has had patients experience less secure of a hold, and we might find later that the front teeth don't do a great job of holding the partial. He personally feels I should have them ALL pulled and go full denture.

I am just being a dork and letting my shame get the best of me in wanting to save the front 4? Or am I am smarter to go full denture and be done with it? I think deep down I believe with the two-sided partial I will be able to hide this from people easier.

So ... Do the back partials really rock that much? Does a person do everything they can to save any remaining teeth, or extract them and go full denture and be done with it?

I had 5 teeth left on top. I decided to just go with a full upper denture because I just wanted to be done with bad teeth. I have severe anxiety with anything dental. Plus my dentist said a full upper was fairly easy to adjust to and they have good suction. I'm so happy I went with a full denture. They are secure and don't rock when I eat. Plus they are nice and white. And straight :) I don't regret my decision. Best wishes:)

I forgot to add that my husband has a lower partial and it has already chipped his anchor tooth .He then had to get a filling put in it.

Thank you Lillyh, that helps a lot!

Back