• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Paste?

S

Scardie Cat

Hi,

Dental work is going ok. Little history, I went in a few weeks back and had an old filling redone. Filling was from the last time I went to the dentist about 17 years ago but had cracked. Few weeks later, I went in for a cleaning then last week I had four more fillings done. Most of these four were also redoing old fillings that had cracked, etc.

I have been having higher blood pressure since going to the dentist. One time a few weeks ago, after half a cup of coffee my pressure went crazy high but for the most part it's stayed only slightly high (130/90) range.

One thing I noticed this past Sunday is when I took my daily allergy pill my pressure went up so for the short term I'm no longer taking my allergy pill.

Any ideas what might have changed due to dental work to increase my blood pressure?

One thing I could think of is the dentist gave me some MI paste for sensitive spot or two...any chance this could be driving my blood pressure up?

This morning, I feel like I've drank half a pot of coffee when I've had none.

Hi,

I believe Another name for MI paste is Toothmousse, from my understanding they have no direct linking to blood pressure.

However please update me if you did find out from your dentist next time :)

Sorry to be slow in the follow up but I found it was indeed the paste causing me a problem. Basically proved this via trial and error...

My blood pressure had been high and I was having other allergic type issues along with sever heart burn while using the paste.

I decided to try stopping it for a week.

Sure enough, heart burn gone, allergy symptoms gone and my blood pressure is back down to normal.

I took the paste to my regular doctor and he looked at the ingredients. He said the only thing he saw that might have caused the problem was Saccharin in the paste. He said over the last several years he's been having more and more patients coming in with adverse reactions toSaccharin. That makes sense to me. I used to drink a diet Coke every day years ago until it started making me feel very nervous and shaky so I stopped drinking the diet drinks completely.

So, it's likely many people could use the MI paste with no issues and it works great for sensitivity issues but be warned. If you start having blood pressure spikes, etc stop using the paste.

Back