• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Periodontal disease - causes/solutions

K

KatyJ

I was just wondering if anyone else has wondered why some people get periodontal disease and others don't. Obviously if you never clean your teeth there's going to be a consequence but is there a more fundamental reason, ie lack of nutrition? I've heard that low vitamin D levels are associated with PD and that high levels of vit c can help it. I floss and brush and don't eat lollies and have had PD. My husband eats loads of lollies, never flosses unless he gets meat stuck, hasn't been near a dentist for 20 plus years and doesn't get PD.

Is it really just a genetic roulette wheel or is there more to it? And what part does smoking play?

M

Miss Partial

Hi Katy

I have just said goodbye to ten teeth in total, front ones at that and have a top and bottom partial. I brush everyday with a sonic. My dentist said its prob genetic as mother and both grandmothers have/had dentures. I hate this disease. I also have to take responsibility as I was sporadic with my dentistry. I also smoked. I guess its pot luck in some cases and a mixture of other contributors. Onwards and upwards now.....cant turn the clock back. Hygenist is my new best friend now as thats how I stand a chance of keeping the remainder.

tabitha87

tabitha87

My new family doctor told me that often times if can be from food's we eat. She had said she wished she had me as a patient sooner so that she could've advised me of that, before it was too late (I had all of my teeth extracted because of poor oral hygiene & advanced Periodontitis).

She said some people don't even realize it, but can have some sort of intolerance to wheat, which then irritates their gums, thus causing Periodontal disease. I know for me, when I eat wheat, I feel bloated with a heavy stomach etc. so I avoid eating it. She told me this is another symptom of being intolerant to it & could have likely been the reason why/how I got Periodontal disease in the first place.

I know I said I had poor oral hygiene, but that was after I had gotten Periodontal disease. It had caused me numerous cavities which made it increasingly painful to brush, floss etc., so I stopped altogether (obviously not a wise choice).

She said it was a simple fix with some tests, such as blood work and stuff. I am still scheduled for those tests, although it won't make any real difference to my teeth now. However, you should maybe ask your doctor if it's a possibility for you as well.

K

KatyJ

Well Miss Partial I bet you weren't as sporadic as my husband !! A lot of it is luck really, isn't it?

Tabitha I have heard that about wheat. I've been off wheat for over a year now and it makes me feel better in lots of ways.

tabitha87

tabitha87

Well, I had no idea about the wheat thing until last week, which was about a week after my surgery to have my teeth taken out. Kinda wish I'd known that years ago lol.

M

Miss Partial

Hi Ladies

I never knew about wheat how interesting. I must say since I have had the teeth removed my bread intake is virtually nil as I can't eat it. I also on top of bad teeth, suffered with mild adult acne. Since having the teeth removed this has cleared up completely. But could it be due to wheat removal. I used to eat it everyday........interesting.

Katy I avoided the dentist stupidly for much of my adult life due to bad experiences as a child. I would go when something happened, start treatment then once pain or problem was sorted stop. The dentist prior to the one I have now never told me I had peridontal disease. I would have dealt with the problem and it would have been a wake up call. By the time I got to this new dentist I just knew I was in big trouble. I honestly could kick myself. I still really struggle going. At the moment I don't have to go back until end of October but I'm panicking about that already. I do love my new teeth. They are very pretty. What I hate is knowing peridontal is there like some tooth murderer or something lol.

K

KatyJ

Yes it's very frustrating and annoying isn't it? I hate going to the dentist because I hate being made to feel ashamed and it reminds me of my teeth and how bad they are and makes me depressed. So I avoid if and bad things happen and it makes me even more depressed! Vicious cycle! I'm way too sensitive! Biggest fear is losing my teeth and my husband thinking I'm gross and leaving me!!

Miss Partial if you don't mind me asking, do you take it out at night? And did it take very long to get used to. I've read your party post... I liked the bit about you crying and the dentist crying cos you were so happy.

M

Miss Partial

Hi Katy

No I don't mind you or anyone on here asking me anything. We all support each other. Honestly that's exactly what happened on the day. As soon as she gave me the mirror I burst into tears as I have never ever had straight teeth and they looked amazing and these are only temps. All the staff were in tears with me......all women. On the back of that day we have a really good relationship I think. I trust her completely. I'm still anxious but not about the dentist anymore. Its the procedures, chair and smells.....oh and impressions they are my absolute worse thing as I gag then die of shame. Horrible!!!

Ok onto the partials............they are acrylic. I say they because I had to have two on the same day. One replaces the four top front teeth and the other the bottom front six. I spoke within 30 seconds of them being put in. To me my speech sounded muffely but everyone said I was clear enough to be understood. The first week was soft food. I would NEVER not sleep with them in. Hubby way to handsome to risk that.

It did not take me long at all to get used to them. All my stress was before the event and I mean stress......I did not shut up. I went out for a Thai meal two weeks after having it done....I have had two soft relines which make them all snug and cosy again as the gums shrink back. I work with the public so talking is a must lol. I will get new sparkly chrome ones soon which I cant wait for. I get to choose the teeth and colour. I have had so many compliments which is embarrassing as I was hoping no one would notice. They all think I have had expensive implants.....haha if only. I can eat most things now but still have not tried biting. No burgers or sandwiches ect. Still concerned they might fly out. They wont its all in my head. I have not had any pain or sores. The only pain was in my purse as its costly in total.

I was so motivated to get this done and I think that helped. I can only imagine how difficult it must be if you have nice looking teeth or an accident and they have to come out. For me it was a no brainer they were ugly and ageing me.

Does that help? Do you have to have them?

K

KatyJ

Thank you. That does help a lot!

I dont know if I need them. Pain drove me to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and I'm currently having a root canal. When that's done I guess he will want to clean them, x ray etc. my teeth are crowded and I've had periodontal disease in the past. I brush and floss and use mouthwash and don't smoke anymore though. Hadn't been to dentist for 6 years until I went for the RCT. So I don't know what I will need. My father has PD, also heart disease and bowel cancer. And it makes me think there's something systemic going on that surely could be helped or prevented if we only knew what was triggering it. I'm not scared of pain but I know if I have to have some removed I will be upset coz I know it's my fault for not going sooner. But I need to move on from that ☺ Thanks again for your help xx

B

bamafan

I think like anything it is probably a combination of factors. I have never had great luck with my teeth. Always seems to be something going wrong. Lately, I have noticed my gum recession increasing following a cleaning. Scheduled an appointment with a Periodontist next week. I am actually rather annoyed that my dentist hasn't referred me sooner. Who knows maybe I am overreacting- but I doubt it because I am having some icky sensitivity issues.

Never smoked. I think my issues are a combination of genetics (I have horrible enamel and I have been told that is genetic) and orthodontic work. My gums have never been the same since braces. They did a number on them.

Hopefully next Thursday will bring good news and I am just being a little proactive- but I have a bad feeling it is going to bring a HUGE bill instead. :(

M

Miss Partial

Katy

Hopefully you won't. I have peridontal and the teeth were really loose especially the bottom ones. I could wiggle them and one looked like it was going to walk out of my mouth any day. Yours don't sound as bad. Good luck with it all. I have never been obsessed with teeth but I am now. Do you obsess? I really need to stop thinking about them as driving myself crazy. I think peridontal is a psychological torture as well as physical. Im glad I finally know but wish I could go back to life before it. The only time I dont think about them is with a nice glass of vino of an eve.

K

KatyJ

About 15 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with PD and had the root planing etc I was so obsessed that I was an absolute basket case. I brushed my teeth so much I think I wore some of my gums away!! But I'd just had a baby and that can send you a bit nuts too ☺

M

Miss Partial

Hahaha funny!!!!

They told me I have advanced but I have no idea what that really means. I mean is it enevitable the rest will come out? I have hope when you say you have had it 15yrs. I keep thinking I will wake up and they will be on my pillow. How long can you last if you attend cleanings ect every three months do you think. I dont smoke anymore.

K

KatyJ

I'm pretty sure if you do all the right thing you can stop the disease progressing. But get your vitamin D level checked because apparently there's a correlation between low vit D and perio ?

T

thesmokinggum

I was just wondering if anyone else has wondered why some people get periodontal disease and others don't. Obviously if you never clean your teeth there's going to be a consequence but is there a more fundamental reason, ie lack of nutrition? I've heard that low vitamin D levels are associated with PD and that high levels of vit c can help it. I floss and brush and don't eat lollies and have had PD. My husband eats loads of lollies, never flosses unless he gets meat stuck, hasn't been near a dentist for 20 plus years and doesn't get PD.

Is it really just a genetic roulette wheel or is there more to it? And what part does smoking play?
I just visited a dentist for the first time in about 15 years. I don't have any cavities or problems with my teeth, but my gums are a mess. The doctor said I could brush and floss 50 times a day and still have periodontal disease because I have a vitamin D deficiency, kidney disease (which changes the way bone is mineralized), and lupus (which causes frequent inflammation). Oral hygiene plays a role, but you can still get periodontal disease even if you brush and floss and get your teeth cleaned regularly.

K

KatyJ

I'm sorry to hear that you've got these issues smoking gum. Vitamin D does seem (from what I've read... My husband calls me dr google) to play a big part in fighting inflammation! Wish I'd known that 20 years ago !

T

thesmokinggum

I'm sorry to hear that you've got these issues smoking gum. Vitamin D does seem (from what I've read... My husband calls me dr google) to play a big part in fighting inflammation! Wish I'd known that 20 years ago !
Yes, there's a lot of research going to determine the true role of vitamin D in the body. They're starting to believe it plays a huge role in cancer, heart disease, and other serious medical problems.

K

KatyJ

My father has has heart disease, periodontal disease, bowel cancer and osteoporosis. Have to wonder if vitamin d deficiency is the common link.