• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal disease: What kind of toothpaste?

W

wednesdaystinks

I think I may have periodontal disease and I cannot afford to see the dentist at the moment. What kind of toothpaste/mouthwash will be good for me?

I think I may have periodontal disease and I cannot afford to see the dentist at the moment. What kind of toothpaste/mouthwash will be good for me?

Corsydol mouthwash is good for gum disease, but can stain the teeth with prolonged use. However, corsydol now do a toothpaste that can be used daily, tho it does take some time to get used to the taste!

Hi, I have Periodontal disease and am currently seeing dental hygenist for deep cleanings. They told me to use the Corsydil daily toothpaste and mouthwash. They also said to floss at least twice a day and is possible to use an electric toothbrush such as the Phillips Sonicare - (this costs about £100 though). Perio is advanced gum disease which has attacked the bone, what makes you think you have got this? Could be something less serious hopefully. Take care.

Hi,
What's wrong with Wednesdays anyway???? I quite like them, not too many people ringing up with toothaches and they rarely stink unless the do has eaten something he shouldn't have on Tuesday!

Seriously though, you may be aware that the treatment for periodontal disease often involves extensive scaling to remove deposits below the gums which can be expensive. This is true, but there is a lot you can do to slow down the progress of the disease without seeing the dentist:

Before you even think about mouthwashes get your home cleaning sorted out. I would say that treating perio is 10% about what the dentist/hygienist does and 90% ABOUT WHAT YOU DO AT HOME. Brush twice an day and angle the brush up at 45 degrees to the gum line. Centre the brush on the gum line not the teeth and press quite firmly and clean with a small circular action.
Then clean in between your teeth with either floss, wood sticks or small interdental brushes made for the purpose.
If you can get the home care right you can really slow the progress of the disease right down. However, very few people get the home care right without being shown how to do it so ask for a short session with the hygienist just to be trained in this aspect.

As far as mouthwashes go, they do very little if your home care is not up to scratch so make sure this is in place first. Corsodyl is the best of the bunch and is now available in a formulation for daily use (Corsodyl Daily).
Any big brand toothpaste will do the job. There are no miracle toothpastes out there.

Hope this helps

Lincoln