• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal disease

O

Okeedokee5

I’ve been dealing with periodontal disease for awhile but have an extreme fear of dentists. A few years ago I worked up the nerve to go see a periodontist who was great, but the amount of work suggested was overwhelming (not to mention costly). I managed to go through the scaling and root planing and quite a few 3 month check ups.. but I always hesitated with taking steps toward getting my wisdom teeth out, and a frenectomy and gum graft to deal with recession.

It’s now been about 3-4 years since my last visit, and I can tell the gum recession on my bottom front teeth has gotten significantly worse, and I’m deeply concerned that my gum disease worsened significantly. I’m trying to work through the fear of not only going back to the periodontist, but also the embarrassment of having not gone there for several years.

Hoping to work up the courage to call this week.

This is typical. Many patients don't commit to long term follow-up. Just go back may need to repeat root planning.

Hi OkeeDokee,

good to hear that you are ready to get back on track with your treatment and I so get the struggle of embarrassment of getting back.

As comfortdentist suggests, many people interrupt the treatment somewhere along the way, be it because the troubles disappeared which makes getting back to the dentist more difficult as you need more discipline or because they didn't keep in mind that periodontal disease is something that just requires further aftercare.
The good news about this is that your periodontist will mostly be used to drop outs and will probably be happy to see you back back. Sounds like he is great so he will surely understand that the fear can be a real barrier to coming back. So do not hesitate and make an appointment. My last piece of advice is just tell them right on the phone how embarrassed you feel and how hard it was so that they understand your fear and can make sure to be welcoming and lovely when they see you.

Sending you some good vibes, may you find the courage to call or email them and may they be able to put you at ease.

All the best wishes and keep us posted:)

I got the courage to call today, and have an appointment just for a cleaning on Saturday. After the cleaning, they will book a consult with the main periodontist in order to determine next steps.

My anxiety is high, and I’m not quite sure how I’ll make it through the cleaning without tears... but I know I need to start somewhere in order to make it better!

That's great news, very well done! Good luck on your todays visit and keep us posted.
I know it is hard, but do not worry about tears too much. Crying in a front of your dental team might not be the most pleasant thing but believe me, they are all used to that and will surely be able to put you at ease.

All the best wishes and again well done on getting back on track :respect:

I’m back from the periodontist and happy to say that I survived! It was just a cleaning today with the hygienist. She was a lovely woman, and I was completely up front about my fears before we began, and I started to tear up once I sat in the chair. She took it nice and slow, used topical numbing gel, and kept checking to make sure I was ok.

The periodontist came in at the end and we made a short term plan to come back in two weeks for an evaluation of gum pockets and gum recession— and then we will make a treatment plan. Until then I’ve got some antibiotic mouthwash to use.

Today was a small step in what I assume will be a long term marathon of dental work—- but it’s a start!!

Hi,

It sounds like the dental care providers you have met so far in that clinic is excellent.

All the best,
Daniel

That's great news, very well done! So happy to read that your hygienist took things slowly and made you feel at ease. It's also great that you are going back in two weeks - having an appointment soon after a first one prevents your anxiety from getting too bad and makes it easier to get back. Very well done again and keep us posted:)

Bravo!

Such courage.

Well done. Enjoy.

Also, if it turns out you have to get a gum graft, don’t worry.

It is not so bad, and is something really good to have done.

We can talk more about that if the time comes. Enjoy the meantime enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you did well.