• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal ligament pain

N

nervmania

Hello this forum has been a blessing for me as I been able to share information and give information but mostly every also received support from some really nice people.

My question is in regards to tooth pain when chewing on a tooth next to extraction.
About 7 weeks ago May 4th I had number 30 pulled and it's healing fine but now my second molar number 31 feel sore and hurts to bite or chew it all.
I've been excessively careful with not eating on my right side and waiting till things heal and I'm very very carefully trying to just chew lightly and now number 31 second molar is not liking chewing.
Could this have anything to do with the extraction and the ligaments that were maybe pulled during the extraction?
I saw Dennis that did an x-ray and he said it looked okay he did an old-fashioned x-ray because of where I was at the time.
No other symptoms with 31 other than immediately hurts if I try and chew on it any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Could this have anything to do with the extraction and the ligaments that were maybe pulled during the extraction?
Yes it could have. Or else the tooth has drifted slightly due to the gap beside it, which means the bite on it is slightly different and may need adjusted. If it's not improving then give your dentist a call.

N

nervmania

@Gordon
Thank you Gordon for getting back.

1) So it's possible that the actual tooth number 31 has shifted in that would cause a change in the bite?

2) Do you see people that have difficulty chewing on other teeth after extractions? Because the pain feels deep like it is the ligament and my only solution is to simply not ever eat on that side and that doesn't sound practical either!

3) I just thought that it would have healed sooner than 7 weeks but maybe it takes time I usually take quite a bit of time to heal anyways.

Thanks again

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
1) Yes.
2) Occasionally. It's not common but it does happen from time to time.
The solution is to get the dentist to check the bite and adjust it if necessary. Bit easier than your solution :)
3) Well the 7 weeks would give the tooth time to move around a bit and cause the bite issue if you see what I mean?