• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal Ligament Widening on tooth holding Maryland Bridge?

B

Badchi

Hi All,

Is it normal for the Periodontal Ligament to be Widen on tooth holding the Maryland Bridge? I have had this Maryland bridge for about five years with no problem.

Then couple of months ago it got irritated (scratch the gum under this tooth with some hard food) and I kept playing with it and grinding it for a few days. I have now stop this but I still have a dull cramping / thobing pain on this tooth/gum now and again especially when I think about it . I saw dentist and they said nothing is wrong the tooth is fine but the Periodontal Ligament is Widen a bit which is probably due to movement of the tooth supporting the Bridge. (p.s the tooth in corncern is the front bottom tooth and the maryland bridge is using 1 wing)

But when we looked on my older (last year) XRAYS the Periodontal Ligament was Widen then aswell when I had no pain.

Also I notice that if press or move the tooth holding the Maryland tooth there is no pain but strangely if I press horizontally or rub on the false tooth (the tooth that is stuck next to the Maryland bridge) - its a bit sensitive (maybe it is because I am then twisting the tooth by pressing on the false tooth???).

Question I have is - is it normal for the Periodontal Ligament to be slightly widen on tooth hosting a Maryland tooth? I am really worried as the dentist cannot give me a re-assurring answer and may that is what is giving me this phantom pain?

Can any one out there advise me as I am stressing over this ?

Thanks

Badchi

Last edited:
I wouldn't like to say a perio ligament is "widened" it's a really odd thing to tell a patient. There's clearly no problem with the ligament since it's been like that for some time. The pain you're having would suggest that your causing some trauma to the tooth, either by clenching/grinding or by some other unusual action.

Stressing about it really won't help, try to leave it alone as much as you can and avoid testing it for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for you reply. I feel a bit better after reading your reply. :)

I keep worring about it as I keep thinking that as the perio ligament has always been widen then it might be now giving way and my tooth might fall out hence the pain.

I have been trying to research on the net about perio ligament widening and not found out much so been stressing lately.

One thing that is puzzling me is why is the PL widen?
is it maybe I have always been griding or clenching this tooth with my top tooth in my sleep?
is it the Weight of the Maryland Bridge?
is it when I eat I put pressure on this tooth?
or is it the way the Maryland bridge has been stuck on causing it to stretch the perio ligament? what would be you best guess?

Just worried about the long term damage that can be caused when the PL is widen long term.

As for the pain I have just started to try accupunture today which seems to have helped a bit.

Thanks

Badchi

Last edited:
I don't think such a thing as "PDL widening" exists, frankly.

It doesn't mean that your tooth is going to fall out, it's really nothing to worry yourself over.

Back