• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal surgery and more required

I just got a call from the periodontal office. The doctor is running late and now my surgery is scheduled for 4:00. The anticipation agony is further prolonged...

Good Luck :grouphug:
I'm not sure what 4:00 in Uk time is. But i'll be thinking of you

Good Luck :grouphug:
I'm not sure what 4:00 in Uk time is. But i'll be thinking of you

4 for them would be 8:00 for us I do believe;)

But best of luck and sorry it got prolonged

4:00pm Pacific time is midnight UK time.

By now your surgery must be finished. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went :)

I was wondering how it went today. Hope all went well.

I'm going to assume you're home, resting, and thrilled to have this over with! Please check in when you can.
Peace,
Susan

I hope that you are well and that things went much better than your anxiety was telling you they would. :grouphug:

Hi everyone,

I survived the surgery and now I'm just taking it easy at home. My anxiety yesterday was racing out of control. I took three halcion one hour beforehand as prescribed. When it was time for the actual surgery, I still barely felt the effect of the halcion. At that point the doctor gave me a little nitrous oxide. I didn't feel pain during the surgery. I can remember some parts of the procedure, but thankfully I wasn't at full coherence.

I'm following the doctor's instructions and was given amoxicillin, vicoprofen, and a prescription mouth rinse. Slept rather poorly last night, but plan on staying home all weekend and taking it easy. Not being able to eat as I normally do is going to be difficult. It's only been about 18 hours since my surgery and I'm still bleeding. Have been told this is normal. I think when the bleeding stops my morale will improve.

Just want to extend a sincere thank you to everyone out there who helped give me the strength to go through with this. All of you along with my loving wife have been such an invaluable help!

Last edited:
More prayers on the way for a speedy recovery! Boy, that had to be really tough. Be proud of yourself, and get some good rest!
Peace,
Susan

So how are you doing? I'm assuming you're healing way! Please check in and let us know.
Peace,
Susan

Sorry for not checking in sooner. It's been such a busy month. I'll be glad to see it draw to a close.

Last Friday I went in for my post-op check up. The graft area looks really gross by my standards, but the doctor said it was normal and that it in fact looked better than he thought it would. A couple stitches were not ready to come out yet, but the rest came out just fine. Originally I was only going to have gum tissue grafted over two teeth. While doing the surgery, the doctor actually decided to do four teeth as they were also in need. He said it was a large graft. This probably explains why it was so painful and I needed to take the Vicoprofen a little longer than originally planned.

At this point I'm still limited to eating only on my left side. It's great to be able to eat steak again, but there still are a bunch of things I cannot eat just yet as per the doctor's orders. Still taking that awful tasting prescription mouth rinse twice a day. It does help in the healing though. I have another checkup next Thursday. Hoping to get the last of the stitches out and to be eating normally once again. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again to everyone for the support and good wishes!

Excellent news, and thank you for letting us know! Prayers on the way for a complete healing.
Peace,
Susan

That peridex mouth wash is awful tasting. I'm still using it too.

Had another checkup with the periodontist and got the last of my stitches removed. He was very pleased with the healing of this large graft and has given me permission to resume eating whatever I want. I still need to chew on my left side only for the next two weeks. I've really missed eating popcorn and pizza...among many other things.

Unfortunately I still have two more surgical procedures to get done and am already scheduled for the next one: a bone graft on April 15th of all days. The recovery isn't supposed to be as bad for this procedure, though instinct tells me it won't be a breeze. At least it's just one tooth under construction this time.

The light at the end of the tunnel seems so far away...

The bone graft isn't bad, really. I had bone grafts done in 9 places, it sounds much scarier than it really is.

Two days ago I had the bone graft done. I kept myself very busy right up until about 30 minutes prior to surgery. The doctor gave me three halcion to take along with nitrous. It was a less gruesome experience than my gum graft. Feeling pain right now, but it's less severe than expected. I go back a week today for a checkup.

Hoping for a quicker recovery this time around. Just wish someone could make a more humane mouth rinse. This prescription mouth rinse tastes like poison!

Hi there Grimace, wondered if you'd come back some time. Nice to have your update. Bet you're happy its all done now. Best wishes for quick recovery and no soreness. Well done.:cheers:

Hi Grimace!

Hopefully by today you are fully recovered! I had some soreness for a couple of days after my bone graft but nothing that pain medication couldn't handle. For me the real irration was continued numbness and annoying stitches! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed :thumbsup: that you aren't dealing with any of that!

You've come a long way! :jump: Thanks for keeping us posted and sharing your story!

:cheers:

Very happy to say that I'm not feeling any pain today. I've been eating carefully and taking my medications and caught up on some much needed rest over the weekend. Feel a lot better than I did Friday while at work. Going for my checkup on Thursday and will bring everyone up to date on my progress.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and warm wishes. Couldn't get through all of this without you!

Had my post-op checkup today since last week's bone graft. The doctor wasn't as satisfied with my healing this time compared to say my post-op checkup after the gum graft. I have another appointment with him next Thursday. Following that, he's having me come back weekly or bi-weekly for cleanings for a month or so. All of this depends upon the continued healing he sees.

As if my long-winded rants haven't been indication enough, I hate going back there and now it looks like a lot more visits than I planned on. Won't be surprised if he charges me for all of these cleanings too. I so wish everything was over, but after all is done with this bone graft, another gum graft awaits me. At this point, I'm very likely going to put off the final gum graft until next year. Too exhausting, both physically and financially.

Some great news to report. I don't have to go back to the periodontist until next spring! I'm still going for cleanings every three months. Now I will be going to the periodontist once a year for a cleaning. The other three cleanings will be done by my regular dentist. I'm really hoping for smooth sailing from now on... Thanks to everyone for all of the coaching, advice, encouragement, and patience!

Back