• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal Surgery? Bad dentist?

J

janeh

I brought my son, 11 years-old, with me to see a dentist a few days ago. Before, my son had very bad toothaches to the point where his cheek would swell. The swelling was terrible. His cheek became bruised. He can not bear the pain. He cries for very long period of time each day when his teeth starts hurting. Taking Ibuprofen only helps until the effect wears off.

So, we went to see this NEW dentist. There, my son had an examination and was told he needed a surgery. The dentist started blurting out details of what will happen if he doesn't or if he does have the surgery. The dangers and effects of the surgery. My son was very frightened by this and started crying for his life. The dentist then told my son he will not have the surgery if he doesn't behave.

I was angry at the dentist. The dentist described the procedures to me while my son was present. I really didn't want my son to hear about how his life was in danger or whatever. I'm not sure if this was one of those bad days for dentists. I do not know. My English is not fluent so I had no way of letting the dentist know how very disappointed I was with the treatment. I just hope someone here can answer a question of mine.

What risk is present in having a Periodontal Surgery?

I think you need to find a new dentist - this sounds very strange. I have never heard of a child having periodontal surgery before. The only risk to life for any dental procedure would be from say general anaesthesia/i/v sedation not from the procedure itself.
You are quite right an 11 year old does not need to hear the worst case scenario details..whereabouts in the world are you and what exactly is the treatment being proposed for your son?
I have also moved this to the dentistry questions section. NB I am not a dentist myself.
Is there anyway you can get yourself to a pediatric dentist?

Hi Janeh :welcome:, your English is very good :thumbsup:. Whereabouts in the world are you? I would suggest writing a letter of complaint to the dental practice/office in question. The dentist handled the situation very badly.
I certainly would suggest finding a child-friendly dentist (actually, make that a friendly dentist) for your son. Do you have any acquaintances/friends/colleagues you could ask for recommendations?

I agree with Brit that it sounds unlikely that he would have periodontal (that is, gum) surgery at his age - maybe the dentist meant oral surgery?

It would be good if you could find a dentist who is happy to give advice on how to prevent dental problems, especially once his toothaches have been sorted out. Most people know that sugar causes tooth decay, but few people know that it is not the amount of sugar or acid in the diet, but how often it is eaten or drunk. It is important to keep sugary and acidic drinks and foods to mealtimes only. If you want to give your son a snack, try to stick to cheese, vegetables and fruit, but not dried fruit. Once you find a good dentist, they will also be able to show him how to best clean his teeth and they may also be able to help with fluoride varnish or high-fluoride toothpastes.

Please let us know how you get on :grouphug:

Back