• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Periodontal Visit

• Thread starter Scared all the time
  • Start date
S

Scared all the time

Well periodontal visit all done! I was a nervous wreck expecting the worst. Turns out my gums and teeth are good. He kept saying how great my teeth and gums were. No deep scaling needed (my dentist is money hungry apparently). He gave an all clear if I wanted to pursue braces. Which at 50 I do t know if I do at this point. He was awesome! Kind caring and thorough. No gum disease only an area or two they may or may not need gum graft in the far future “watch areas” but nothing concerning atm. So now? I apparently need to find a better dentist one I trust as I don’t trust my current one now and wondering if that molar could have been saved after all ? lesson learned to get second or third opinions. He said upper 2nd molars don’t “need” an implant and in my case I don’t unless I want for cosmetic purposes but he didn’t see a dental need for it.

Wonderfu!

Enjoy.

Also, don’t worry about gum grafts. You can handle them, if it comes to that.

Glad all went well and hope you can soon find a dentist you trust..

Wonderfu!

Enjoy.

Also, don’t worry about gum grafts. You can handle them, if it comes to that.
I hope so. It still scares me. I’m not sure what Tuesday will bring I cant imagine how I could go from great teeth to a Gum graft in this short of time but that gap worries me it’s all I think about ?

I know for me at least its easy to catastrophize in the dental world .... :hidesbehindsofa: I really hope all is well.. I know whatever comes you can handle it just like DG6300 said !!

Well tomorrow 12:30 I go back for a follow up visit ( need to put my mind hopefully at ease) I think to prepare a bit I’m going to sit down tonight and write a list of my concerns so I don’t forget anything tomorrow. Crossing my fingers I’m worried for nothing

Well periodontal visit all done! I was a nervous wreck expecting the worst. Turns out my gums and teeth are good. He kept saying how great my teeth and gums were. No deep scaling needed (my dentist is money hungry apparently). He gave an all clear if I wanted to pursue braces. Which at 50 I do t know if I do at this point. He was awesome! Kind caring and thorough. No gum disease only an area or two they may or may not need gum graft in the far future “watch areas” but nothing concerning atm. So now? I apparently need to find a better dentist one I trust as I don’t trust my current one now and wondering if that molar could have been saved after all ? lesson learned to get second or third opinions. He said upper 2nd molars don’t “need” an implant and in my case I don’t unless I want for cosmetic purposes but he didn’t see a dental need for it.

My oral surgeon (who I trust completely) and two different dentists also told me that upper second molars don’t need to be replaced. My surgeon even said he recommended against it to his own mom. He told me that the only reason would be if I really just wanted every tooth in my head (not counting the ones previously extracted for orthodontia as a kid). He said that the lower molars are more important in the sense of teeth shifting (super eruption).
It is absolutely important to trust your dentist, though, and looking for a new one may be a good idea if you don’t trust them.

My oral surgeon (who I trust completely) and two different dentists also told me that upper second molars don’t need to be replaced. My surgeon even said he recommended against it to his own mom. He told me that the only reason would be if I really just wanted every tooth in my head (not counting the ones previously extracted for orthodontia as a kid). He said that the lower molars are more important in the sense of teeth shifting (super eruption).
It is absolutely important to trust your dentist, though, and looking for a new one may be a good idea if you don’t trust them.
I remember you and Gordon telling me that before ? I keep telling myself that. Why would my dentist keep changing her mind? I have zero trust in her I should have left 2 years ago for a better dentist. I just love that staff there but I can’t stay where I don’t feel comfortable hopefully all
Will be good at the periodontist tomorrow (it’s just an observation visit to ease my mind) and then I am looking for a dentist I can trust! Not easy but I have too. Mountain mama I am so truly happy your nearing the end of you dental journey. You’ve had such a tough time and you’ve definitely deserve it to be over ❤️

You got this.

Well about 3 1/2 hours to go ? I’m scared and nervous. The unknown is a scary place, I’m just afraid of what he might say. This year so far hasn’t been the best for me I’m hoping for a change in my luck soon. Darn that cleaning, it’s caused me so much anguish, anxiety and fear! And darn that dentist with her indecisiveness. She’s the worst. ? You know the funniest part? That office advertises to be the place to go for dental phobias and fears. What a laugh. I told them my biggest fear, and with the molar incident ( I still kick myself for at least not getting a second opinion then to ease my mind) her response was your gonna lose it ? how is that supportive? ? I have to find another office. A new fear in itself, I’m afraid my trust is gone

Last edited:
Scared..

:grouphug: I am so thinking of you... you are right ... the unknown is a VERY scary place.... you are courageous to venture there.. I'm also sending positive thoughts and prayers your luck changes.. I know the the changes and indecisiveness can also play with us , its hard to hear when the dentist isn't sure.. sometimes with legitimate reason but when we are anxious it doesn't help, and to change plans that makes one doubt even more. What is planned to be done at this follow up visit ?

Scared..

:grouphug: I am so thinking of you... you are right ... the unknown is a VERY scary place.... you are courageous to venture there.. I'm also sending positive thoughts and prayers your luck changes.. I know the the changes and indecisiveness can also play with us , its hard to hear when the dentist isn't sure.. sometimes with legitimate reason but when we are anxious it doesn't help, and to change plans that makes one doubt even more. What is planned to be done at this follow up visit ?
To me she doesn’t seem unsure more like she just doesn’t have a clue what she says. More importantly if she’s not sure then maybe she should refer rather then just “guess” anyway thank you for sending good wishes crossing my fingers that my anxiety is just over reacting At the follow up visit today He’s going recheck everything and make sure there aren’t any changes or issues is more an observation visit. He may take some xrays im not sure yet

Well I survived lol. He’s such a great periodontist! I go back in may and he’s going to do my cleaning for me there ( I get every 4 months for piece of mind) I feel a little better now he even recommended a dentist and orthodontist that he is associated with. He does gum grafts and implants. He said I didn’t need either. The visit was a blur but he seemed unconcerned so with his examination so I guess that’s good.

Yay! I’m glad everything went well for you!!

Thank you, I’m still not sure what to think. I hate the recession I know I have some bone loss but I’m trying to stay positive I’m on top of things and in the best care. How are you doing?

Oh I’m struggling. I feel like I’m walking around with a big dark cloud over my head that I can’t escape. I’m normally a glass half full kinda person but with this, I just can’t find the light. It’s emotionally exhausting. But I’ll be okay. One way or another. Thank you for asking.

I hate the recession too. I definitely have major bone loss to the point that my front tooth has shifted. That’s really bad. You’re going to be just fine. You’re in good hands and I’m hoping I will be too one day. ?

You do sound so much like me. I'm still walking around in a cloud, it’s lifted some but it’s still hovering just above. it is emotionally exhausting I know all about that unfortunately I sure hope your right and everything will be fine. My teeth in the front shifted as well along with recession the periodontist said that happens with age he even showed me his teeth to prove his point and he had braces as an adult. I think your visit is going to pleasantly surprise you. I truly don’t think it’s going to be as bad as your mind is trying to tell you ?

Thank you for that. Hearing you say that even your periodontist showed you his shifting teeth calms my nerves. I need all the reassurance I can get right now! And I will indeed take it :)