• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Permanent crown question

F

famv5

I had a temporary crown put on about three weeks ago. I had no issues with the crown itself, in fact, I sometimes forgot it was there. Fast forward to this week and I went in to have my permanent crown put on. It turns out that the technician used permanent cement on my temporary crown. Sigh. The dentist cut off the temp crown and then another technician put on my permanent one.

The question I have is how long should this tooth be sensitive. I had it put on on Wednesday so it's been about three days. I did go in yesterday, too, to have it adjusted because it was a little high. Anyway, if I bite down on the tooth or tap it, it hurts and brushing along the gum line on the inside it's sensitive, too. I've also had this on/off achy feeling in my jaw and into my ear, as well. Flossing around it is also very sensitive.

I do have TMJ and it does tend to flare up when I've had anything dental related done and had to open my mouth for any period of time. I have also never had a crown put on a tooth that still had a nerve. My other crowns were all root canals and then crowns so I don't really know what to expect from this tooth and what is considered "normal" as far as sensitivity to touch.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you.

The symptoms you are having are most likely a result of your bite being high for a couple of days. If you just had your bite adjusted yesterday, I'd give it 3-4 more days to calm down before seeing the dentist again. If you're still having those same symptoms in a couple of days, have them check your bite again.

I thought I would post here before I race into the dentist again. Today is day six since I've had my permanent crown put on and I'm still having pain off and on. It's better than before but still there.

I have no pain at night when I'm sleeping, however, once I wake up and start my day it begins. It will just be a mild ache to where I feel it but I can deal with it. Sometimes when I eat or in the evenings, it will really bother me and I'll take one ibuprofen which will take the pain away after about 30 minutes.

The tooth which has the crown feels less sensitive than before. I can tap on it and I don't feel the sudden pain like I was. I do still feel it right on top of the tooth, though.

The gums by the tooth with the crown are also irritated so I am making sure to floss and rinse with warm salt water.

I wouldn't have such a dire concern but I am going out of the country in the middle of November and I certainly do not want to be dealing with this then or have anything flare up even worse on my trip.

Just would like to get your thoughts as to what might be the cause of this and if there is anything else I can do to help it. I'm only taking ibuprofen when the pain is too much and that is usually once a day. Should I be taking it more often?

How long does a tooth with a crown that has a nerve take to calm usually? I've read different things all over the internet so I'm not sure what's correct.

Thank you for your time and help. :)

I'd have your dentist take a look at your bite one more time. It may still be slightly off. If they say it looks ok then it may still just be settling down. Everyone is different. It takes anywhere from several days to several weeks for most people.

Back