• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Permanent Crown Questions... PLUS Odd dentist!?!

K

katylayney

Ok SO I had a temporary crown placed on a back left molar almost 3 weeks ago, it had been hurting the whole three weeks, not ALL the time but if I bit on it I would get this stinging sensation. I went in yesterday to get my permanent crown put on and I told him right once I got there how it had been hurting and I was SO scared it would hurt to get my crown changed. He said "no you are fine it's normal" And he proceeded to take the crown off and I started crying...more like sobbing, lets be honest. I told him it hurt so bad and he kept taking food that had gotten stuck off of my tooth and I kept moaning then they put cold water and air on it which at that point I screamed and said "Please please stop and numb me". Thank God he finally did...anyway I asked him probably FIVE times 'are you 100% POSITIVE it's ok to put a permanent crown on this tooth that obviously hurts so bad?" he kept saying yes...I even said "are you SURE it doesn't need a root canal" and he said "no the feeling you are experiencing is normal." So he put the permanent on and after the numbing started to work..this was about 30 hours ago...I will say it feels a lot better than my temp crown did but I still can hardly chew on it, it just feels sensitive. Is this normal to have some sensitivity when you chew on a new permanent crown? How long can that pain last? Also...do you think the dentist was right in putting the crown on when I very blatantly told him about my pain and root canal concern? He took an xray AFTER the crown was on and said "wow it looks great." I'm just so confused. I'll never go back to him again.

it IS normal to have pain/sensitivity with a temp and it is also normal to have Major sensitivity when they take the temp off and the tooth is exposed. When they did the prep they took off all the tooths enamel so it is very sensitive to air and water and anything.

As far as after and when it should stop hurting I can not say. I just wanted to ease your mind about what i did know.

I have had nothing but trouble with my 2 crowns I dont know when it stops.

Thank you that does make me feel better :) I've just been reading all these horrible things about needing root canals after a temporary crown gets put on! Are your crowns still hurting? How long has it been?

still hurts. it has been months. this is not the norm from what everyone i know and also the dentist says.
I had to have them compleatly redone and I am hypersensitive to the crown. I think thats the issue.. im not sure.

I'm not a dentist, but from my experience, It can take quite a while for a permanent crown to settle. I have needed RCT after a filling and after a crown and the pain in those teeth prior to RCT was so unbearable that it was keeping me up at night and preventing me from focusing on work during the day. What concerns me more about your experience is that the dentist didn't automatically numb you before putting a permanent crown on. You should NEVER have had to endure that without local anesthetic. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. For me, that would be reason enough to find another dentist.

Best of luck to you!

Also, on the one tooth I recently had a crown put on, I had discomfort for several weeks after the permanent was put on. It's been about a month now and I still have a bit of sensitivity, but it seems almost back to normal. And, the x-ray after the permanent crown is placed is normal in order to make sure that it's sitting correctly on the tooth.

But, like I said, that the dentist would put a permanent crown on without local anesthetic is reason enough for you to never go back. You should not ever even have to ask (sounded more like begging) for local anesthetic for that type of procedure.

Hi
so your pain when you bit onto the temp crown could have just been a bit of leakage around the temp cement.
The tooth will hurt when the temp crown is removed, it will be sensitive to cold and air so it should have been numbed to prevent this.
Once the permanent crown goes on and is glued on then the tooth may have some senstivity for a while (days or a few weeks) but should settle. If it doesnt then something is wrong. If the pain is brief and only present when you have a cold drink or bite on it then there's a good chance it will settle. If the pain lasts for a long time or is spontaneous then it is more likely you will need a root canal.
Hope that helps explain whats happening

Back