• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Personal Request

N

Neen

Can i ask for the dentist to competely numb my mouth before ever even touching my teeth?

Hi Neen, I see one contradiction here: completely numbing your mouth would pretty much involve touching your mouth/teeth... or maybe I misunderstood what you mean?

Hi Neen, I see one contradiction here: completely numbing your mouth would pretty much involve touching your mouth/teeth... or maybe I misunderstood what you mean?
I meant before picking and prodding at my teeth, meaning I have issues that need addressed but I will not be able to let them poke near the gumline on several of my teeth. So I mean to ask if they can firstly numb before any cleaning?

Aaah, I see. So you have several teeth that are a bit sensitive around the gum line and you just want to prevent the dentist from hurting you while checking those teeth or gum. It makes sense that you wish to be numbed before those spots get touched. :) Having a dentist you feel comfortable with and can talk to openly would help here a lot too.

I dont think there is a dentist in my area that is willing to understand nor accept my insurance. So its something I havent done and I cant force myself to go, and since my dad passed away in 2019, there is no one I know to be the push i am needing.

I've made that request twice before, and both dentists had no problem with it. I told them that they could only "look" at my mouth, but not touch until it was time to do any work, and that they would them have to numb me first. They may have thought me an odd duck, but didn't say anything and agreed to my wishes.

So I guess my next step is google... I hope I find a good dentist. I think im going to try filling out a dental fear form and send that to whichever dentist I decide to try first.

Piggy backing on this if you don’t mind!

Are you able to ask for numbing / sedation for cleaning in the NHS? I’m assuming a private dentist will indulge but does anyone know if an NHS dentist typically would?

Thank you ?

Doesn't hurt to ask. I've done IV sedation for deep scalings in the past, if it's the only way to get it done then why not?
There are some nice numbing gels about you can use before scaling, short of going on for full local anaesthetic.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I've done IV sedation for deep scalings in the past, if it's the only way to get it done then why not?
There are some nice numbing gels about you can use before scaling, short of going on for full local anaesthetic.
Im scared that the dentist wont understand me when if I attempt to explain the sensitivity and how i cannot endure any kind of cleaning unless it can be numbed firstly.

It's not unusual, just tell them in advance, either e-mail or tell the receptionist when you book the appointment?

Back