• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified about tooth extraction

D

DecoDiva

I have the last tooth on top left which needs removing as it is too badly decayed. I had several traumatic experiences in the past, firstly when I was very young (6 yrs old) then in my 20s and 30s when I had a tooth pulled with no injection, one filling where injection did not numb the site and when I told the dentist he just sent me home with a partly drilled tooth as he said there was nothing he could do and RCT where the tooth was not numb and dentist could not stop it bleeding, ramming cotton wool swabs into it causing immense pain. Then I had 2 good dentists who sadly retired and their replacement was not good. Consequently I have not been for around 8 years. Now I have some major works to be done including the extraction. The tooth itself has a large hole in the side and I am petrified that it will break when the dentist tries to remove it (that’s if I manage to get there and stay in the first place). The dentist just says he cannot guarantee it will not break but he says it will not hurt. What could I expect if it did break?

Hi DecoDiva,

your past experiences sound awful :( teeth breaking during an extraction is very common and not a big deal. Your dentist will be able to take the tooth out anyway, if that is your worry. It may make an unpleasant noise, but will have no effect whatsoever on the level of pain. Sounds like your dentist is aware of your worries and will make sure you are super numb before they start the procedure.

Dear DecoDiva,

Enrate’s answer is spot on correct. Furthermore: dentists very often on purpose split the tooth to be extracted into segments because it is much easier to take out molar teeth in pieces than as a whole.
it is actually more convenient to the patient to have multi-roots molars extracted in pieces because than much less pressure is needed.

Back