• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified Again

C

Copewithit

I went to dentist and felt ok ( see previous talks).Yet.. . NHS would only cover bottom set .. he said. Ok I’ll have them and pay for top set.. can’t do that they’ll be different so you’d need to pay .I am a pensioner and cannot pay this money. I shouldn’t have to pay as this dentist said they accept nhs patients.My sister phoned to ask if they accept Nhs patients and they said the dentist looks first then decides if he does. This is so unfair. I now have got to go and see ANOTHER dentist NHS for sure this time. Back to square one …. Petrified again

Hi @Copewithit, that sounds pretty awful, I doubt that this is permissible under the NHS rules (to cherry-pick and only to accept patients with minimal needs). While it's understandable given the current stupid UDA system in England, it's so wrong. Maybe time to make a complaint? There are details here on how to go about this:

Can you get it clarified in an email? I'd definitely want to try and get this in writing because it's just wrong.

Why not try a local Facebook group and ask for Dentist recommendations in your area, then see if they're accepting patients?

Perhaps on your next visit you could take someone with you for moral support aswell..

Whilst I appreciate it's not ideal to see someone else, if personally be reluctant to go back to a practice that holds that attitude towards patients and their treatment. I'm sure you'll find somewhere better.

Failing recommendations you could always try writing an email with your concerns to any accepting dentist in your area then see what their reply is like - if you're not up to calling.

I'm sorry you were treated this way, it can be disheartening and a setback, try not to let it be - you deserve better and will find a better dentist in the end :)