• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified at my double extraction tomorrow. Can dentists or anyone help

D

DM69

Hello

I'm having two teeth out tomorrow. One is a lower left molar (currently abscessed, but settled with antibiotics) and the other is my upper right wisdom which is coming out sideways.

Two dentists have said that the wisdom will be a doddle to get out ("a 15 second job if that"), and the molar is broken at the gum line, and I understand that makes things easier too.

So, all in all, I'm not sure why I'm so scared - but I am!!!!!

I think it's the LA that's worrying me so much. I've never been numbed on both sides of my mouth before, and I'm scared of being scared if that makes sense.

I've had LA LOADS of times with my bad effects, but I've developed this fear that I'll somehow have a bad reaction this time. I get ectopc heartbeats from time to time (checked and found to be benign) so I'm worried that the LA will make my heart do something worrying.

I think a dose of reassurance from a dentist or other experienced person would help me enormously right now. I'd be so grateful :)

Sorry - should read "Had LA loads of times with NO bad effects...."

Hi there DM69,
I understand your fear totally. I had 3 teeth extracted this sumer and I was utterly petrified! I did mine with an oral surgeon and I had met with him before the day of the procedure and he was very nice. I was having IV sedation and he told me I would feel nothing and remember nothing.
You'd think that would make me feel better right? WRONG It did nothing to calm my terror.
However, I can honestly tell you that it turned out just fine.
And it will for you too!:)

No need to worry. everything will be fine and go well. I have had a total of 5 (4 of them were wisdom) puuled and they were all easy and went well. i was positive i would not survive but I did. Remember, any pain is just an inconviniance and wont last long.

I think it's REALLY common to be scared of being scared--like to get scared of losing control, screaming, crying--I think that's even listed under the common fears section, so you totally aren't weird.

That being said, I'll throw in my experience to suggest it will go well, too. I've only had one wisdom tooth pulled, but it was easy as pie--definitely a 15 second variety. I was angry afterwards that I'd insisted on nitrice b/c I was so anxious! (Though, by all means, do so if you're worried, especially about having a couple of them done!).

Hey you will be fine- I had 4 removed in December and although I felt like running for the hills at the time-its the best thing I have done, and wouldnt think twice if I had to do it again!! Good Luck-you will be fine!:)