• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified Embarrassed

C

CFergie

Hi I have a real fear of dentist & I am on medication which has destroyed my teeth I have broken teeth at the gum line which my gum is actually starting to grow over I have since damaged my front tooth by banging my mouth I have the dentist tomorrow but I am mortified & don’t know where to start please help!

Hi CFergie..

Have you been to your appointment yet? How did it go?
I'm not a dentist just a civilian terrified of dentistry.
I hope they can help and are gentle and explain things to you in detail and that there's an inexpensive solution..
I was really resistant to letting my dentist know i had such extreme anxiety about being in that chair, but it helped actually telling them my past experiences and hesitancy. It's worth a shot if you think that might help to let them know about your fears..
May solutions and peace find you today!!

Bravo for taking the first step and scheduling an appointment. I think most of us here can relate to being petrified and/or embarrassed. Many of us have walked similar paths as you. My best advice is to be upfront with your dentist/dental assistant/hygienist about your fears & concerns. Half the battle is just making it to the first appointment and having someone look in your mouth. In my experience, while I’m still nervous at my appointments, I’m not petrified or embarrassed anymore. Best wishes for your appointment tomorrow. I’m sure once you make it through your initial appointment it will feel like an enormous weight has been lifted. ❤️

Hi CFergie..

Have you been to your appointment yet? How did it go?
I'm not a dentist just a civilian terrified of dentistry.
I hope they can help and are gentle and explain things to you in detail and that there's an inexpensive solution..
I was really resistant to letting my dentist know i had such extreme anxiety about being in that chair, but it helped actually telling them my past experiences and hesitancy. It's worth a shot if you think that might help to let them know about your fears..
May solutions and peace find you today!!
Thank you so much that means a lot my appointment is 2 pm & I’m not gonna lie I am terrified but I really must do this today thank you again for your kind wishes x

Please update us on how the appointment went. I hope it went well and you’re feeling some relief now. ❤️

Please update us on how the appointment went. I hope it went well and you’re feeling some relief now. ❤
Thank you I had my examination I have a further consultation for 21st & an appointment for the 31st for anaesthetic at a cost of £200 but I now have an abscess so a course of antibiotics from my own GP for 5 days & it’s real sore now because the dentist was in my mouth yesterday I’m not gonna lie I’m so scared.
thank you for your concern

You have no reason to be embarrassed. You're going to the dentist to solve a problem and that's a good thing. Like you, I was mortified (and petrified!) to see the dentist after more than five years. I was honest with the dental assistant and she assured me it was no problem. They see people like us all the time. They're just happy we came in for care. The good news for you is that YOU DID IT! You went to your appointment. That's a huge first step. You will get through this and feel so much better on the other side. Keep us updated!

You have no reason to be embarrassed. You're going to the dentist to solve a problem and that's a good thing. Like you, I was mortified (and petrified!) to see the dentist after more than five years. I was honest with the dental assistant and she assured me it was no problem. They see people like us all the time. They're just happy we came in for care. The good news for you is that YOU DID IT! You went to your appointment. That's a huge first step. You will get through this and feel so much better on the other side. Keep us updated!
Aw thank you so much you have no idea how much I appreciate your lovely comments x

Thank you I had my examination I have a further consultation for 21st & an appointment for the 31st for anaesthetic at a cost of £200 but I now have an abscess so a course of antibiotics from my own GP for 5 days & it’s real sore now because the dentist was in my mouth yesterday I’m not gonna lie I’m so scared.
thank you for your concern

As others have already said. Just wanted to reiterate well done for taking the first and often the hardest step to both make and go to your first appointment! ?

You said you’re so scared, is there anything in particular worrying you that we might be able to support you with or help ease the concern from our experiences. How are you feeling about the upcoming appointments? ?

As others have already said. Just wanted to reiterate well done for taking the first and often the hardest step to both make and go to your first appointment! ?

You said you’re so scared, is there anything in particular worrying you that we might be able to support you with or help ease the concern from our experiences. How are you feeling about the upcoming appointments? ?
Thank You for your concern.
yes I am really scared about my coming appointment I have back teeth roots to be extracted I have however choose to be asleep for this treatment at £200 for anaesthetic as I am really petrified, the embarrassment at the state of my mouth is so painful to deal with. However they haven't set out a plan as such just given me a consultation app on the 21st which is when I pay for the treatment & I’m hoping then for some explanation of what’s to come.
Thank You Again ?

First let me say, as someone who's had a lifelong phobia, you can do it and you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about! I think majority of us here have had that same thought, and we can't ALL be the worst mouth out there :p So please don't let that deter you! I used to be horrendously embarrassed by my teeth too, and I'm not 100% happy yet (I have missing and crowded teeth still) but I just took things at my own pace, and slowly overcame my fear! I know you can do it too!!!! And I've done everything awake, including wisdom teeth which I NEVER thought I could do, so you will be fine!!! :hug4:Please keep us updated how everything goes and good luck!!!

First let me say, as someone who's had a lifelong phobia, you can do it and you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about! I think majority of us here have had that same thought, and we can't ALL be the worst mouth out there :p So please don't let that deter you! I used to be horrendously embarrassed by my teeth too, and I'm not 100% happy yet (I have missing and crowded teeth still) but I just took things at my own pace, and slowly overcame my fear! I know you can do it too!!!! And I've done everything awake, including wisdom teeth which I NEVER thought I could do, so you will be fine!!! :hug4:Please keep us updated how everything goes and good luck!!!
Thank you so much well done you ??I hope one day I will be able to do it awake but for now I opted to pay £200 for my first treatment I am literally petrified even at the thought the smell nauseates me severely the panic is overwhelming. Thank you again

Aww you’re totally welcome, and doing it asleep is 100% okay too!! You’re being so brave and you will feel so proud of yourself afterwards I promise :) In my experience, it was all baby steps that helped me get over my fear because I just got used to going little by little and doing things at my own pace. Also breathing techniques help a lot! ❤️