• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified of having impressions done

D

dawnm35

I dread going to the dentist for anything, in 3 weeks time I need to have 3 impressions done, had a trial run done, was nearly sick, really dreading it, then dentist needs to do a bridge. can anyone help?:o

Hi Dawn - I don't fear shots or pain or anything along that line in the dental chair but I am petrified of having all that stuff in my mouth and especially having impressions done. (My underlying fear is that of vomiting and I am terrified the impressions will trigger the gag reflex.) I have way more crowns in my mouth that I care to admit to and of course each one of those came with an impression and I am currently getting ready to have an implant of of course that comes with an impression. My old dentist was extremely competent and a perfectionist but not very kind or helpful when it came to helping me with this. Fortunately I just found a new dentist who is much more understanding of my dislike of impressions.

I asked him if he can give me an impression tray to take home and practice with. He was very happy to do this. This helped not only because I could "practice" at home but I was able to know what to expect. I found it really wasn't as bad as I feared. I started with it in my mouth for just a few seconds and was able to work my way up to 6 minutes easily. (and was happy to find out when I had the impressions last week that I only needed it in my mouth for 3 minutes)

He was also willing do use the smallest size impression tray necessary. He showed me the big metal tray that he wanted to use and I nearly gagged just looking at that. I would think for a bridge your dentist would also be able to use a smaller size.

I would guess your dentist doesn't use the digital impressions which are great!! I'm not sure if these can be used for bridges but if so maybe he could refer you to a dentist who does use these just for this one bridge.

Can you take something to help you relax during your appt, such as valium or ativan?

I had my appt earlier this week and while I thought I was only going to have 1 impression I had to have a total of 4. I wasn't expecting that but I have to say it wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be, I didn't gag nor did I feel like it. I know I'm going to need more impressions with this implant plus another implant he wants to do. I'm not looking forward to it but if it goes as easily as the last I think I'll be okay.

Does your dentist know about your fear? Talk to him and see if he can give you am impression tray to try at home. I found that most helpful. :clover::clover::clover:

Hi, I am petrified of the dentist and after 25 years I went in August. After horrendous experience over a month, I now have another dentist and I am finally getting there. Yesterday I had the first impressions done with this dentist, I explained that the last impressions I had I experienced really bad gag reflex to the point of being sick. She said ok try and breathe through your nose and wiggle your fingers!! Sounds crazy but it works incredibly well. Not one gag on top impressions and only two very small ones on bottom ones. Hope this helps x

Back