• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified of the dentist. Need some advice

J

JoshPavett

Hi guys!

so I have a massive phobia of going to the dentist and understand I really need to. I have many problems.
About a month ago, I was referred to a sedation clinic as I was terrified of being injected. It literally made me cry. I didn't go to my appointment as I was extremely terrified of it all going wrong. My mother had her wisdom teeth removed under sedation and she told me she felt everything. It made me cry.

My wisdom teeth on the right side of my mouth are extremely corroded and rotten. The bottom is a massive crater and the top has been severely damaged. I'm really scared and embarrassed at the same time. I'm 20 years old and the thought of going to the dentist is enough to make me cry. I've been getting toothaches to the point I can't sleep but I'm just really really scared to contact my dentist. I also need like 2 more extractions done but again, I'm too scared.

just need some reassurance

I've had a lot of extractions done with just local. I too was afraid of the injections but realized I had to get over it or risk losing more teeth :(

Sedation affects everyone differently. My sister had IV sedation for her extractions and remembered nothing and woke up happy.

Do you specifically fear the injections only? They are painless now in the hands of a good dentist

Hi Josh

Firstly :welcome: To the forum; you are amongst friends here. Lots of us understand that fear all too well.

For me the key was to find a caring, empathetic, understanding and skilled dentist and a good suggestion would be to email first rather than try to jump into a dental surgery as that can often make things worse from a phobia perspective, it's a case of small steps. Finding the right dentist is the key :)

Zombiegroupie is right, dental injections, if done slowly, smoothly and skillfully should be painless.

hope this is helpful.

kind Regards

Hey this is how I was to. I do have to say I was so scared of the needle, now my dentist does them and I only feel the ones they do under (for extraction or root canal) and those are 5 seconds and no where like I thought. As far as being scared I cried like a baby my first appt. All threw it. Now I'm barely worried with exposure comes comfy. Try to just go meet your dentist see if they make you feel good, don't even worry about anything else at this point.

Back