• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Petrified

B

Bbb

I’m 23 years old and I’ve suffered from Dental Anxiety for a very long time, I went to the dentist a couple days ago and he removed my wisdom tooth and back molar. (It was a new dentist, I didn’t like him so going back to the old one that I was using, he was much better for my anxiety)
Anyways, the anxious side of me can’t stop thinking about how I’m never gonna be able to eat again. I have a few cracked teeth on the left side, and I’m just petrified that I’m gonna lose all of my teeth. I know not to read online but I have been. I’m embarrassed to go to the dentist because my teeth probably are the worst he’s ever seen. Does anyone else have similar experiences? Does anyone else have such strong dental anxiety, I can’t even rationalise with it. I have an appointment on Tuesday and I’m already nervous about it and bugging out about it. It’s something that im severely embarrassed by and can’t stop thinking about. I think that’s the anxiety coming out but how do I relax myself?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bbb,

:welcome: Welcome to DFC! We are glad you are here and sharing your story and are here to support you. There are many who have went through the same struggles.

Sorry to hear the new dentist wasn't so great with anxious patients it sounds. Are you going back to your old dentist for the upcoming appt, the one you said was better?

Its really easy to get anxious about your whole mouth and just let anxiety sort or take over and think catastrophically (I am speaking from experience). Its hard to slow down and take one step at a time , when it really is an emotional process.

I have also felt I had the worst teeth and would be the worst my dentist has seen. I put it out there and told him and he very much reassured me I wasn't and that alot of people think this but he is there to help and get things better.

Do you feel comfortable sharing your anxiety even a little bit with your dentist.. taking one step at a time?

Here is a great article on relaxing and distracting ourselves before our dental appts.

Let us know how itgoes!

B

Bbb

Thank you so much for your response.
I am indeed going back to the dentist that I was more comfortable with. I made an appointment to go and just chat with him, and be open about my fears and anxiety. I just feel like a lot of what I’m saying is ridiculous and is just me making excuses.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bbb..

So glad to hear you are going to the one you feel more comfortable with andjust to go have a chat! A good anxious friendly dentist will know how to make you feel at ease and make it all about you and how they can help you. They will also ease your mind. and not shame and blame you. Is there anything specific that made you feel more comfortable with them?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you so much for your response.
I am indeed going back to the dentist that I was more comfortable with. I made an appointment to go and just chat with him, and be open about my fears and anxiety. I just feel like a lot of what I’m saying is ridiculous and is just me making excuses.
This is a huge step! The fact that your dentist is willing to do this speaks to his willingness to help anxious patients. Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

B

Bbb

This is a huge step! The fact that your dentist is willing to do this speaks to his willingness to help anxious patients. Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes!
I’ve written out notes to go to the dentist with so I don’t get flustered during the appointment.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve written out notes to go to the dentist with so I don’t get flustered during the appointment.
i think that’s very wise as it can help keep the conversation focused on what’s most important and ensure you touch on all of your concerns. Anxiety can really make it hard to organize and recall your thoughts in the moment.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just feel like a lot of what I’m saying is ridiculous and is just me making excuses.
Many people feel that way. It's because nobody speaks about dental anxiety and it seems to be such a no big deal for everyone (note, I say SEEMS.. because it really isn't, about half of people have at least a moderate level of anxiety at the dentist and about ten percent are not able to go no matter what, it's just that nobody feels comfortable to admit it). It's actually more reasonable to fear the dentist than a bug or a mouse. If you can, keep this in mind. You're doing everything right.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on Tuesday:clover:

Sevena

Sevena

Super Moderator
Anyways, the anxious side of me can’t stop thinking about how I’m never gonna be able to eat again. I have a few cracked teeth on the left side, and I’m just petrified that I’m gonna lose all of my teeth.
Hey, I just wanted to chime in say that there is no way you will never be able to eat again. I genuinely did lose all my teeth, and have full dentures now. And my teeth were in very bad shape! Almost every single tooth was cracked and visibly damaged etc. I mean, it was super visible. The teeth were discoloured from being dead, the roots were mostly dead so I didn't even feel the pain, they would break apart sometimes, it was a bit grim! And it was like... almost every single tooth in my mouth. Some were broken apart and had broken so long ago that the gum was growing over the chipped remains!

So if you think your teeth are the "worst ever" you are wrong. My teeth weren't the "worst ever" either! My sweet dentist even told me so. I sadly explained to her before opening my mouth, and she said, "Don't worry! I'm not worried. I will have seen worse!" and when she took a look, she didn't say a single word or pull a face, or react in any way. :)

Also I was a shaking trembling mess the whole time - there were even tears involved. But with the support of a nice dentist and nice supporting staff I got through it. And I lost all my teeth, but it sounds like that will not happen to you. I mean even when literally all my teeth were cracked and damaged, they were considering trying to save some. But I accepted a full clearance (removal of all teeth). And hey, I have full dentures, and I can eat pretty much whatever I want. I eat burgers, fajitas, tacos, chow mein, pies, fries, everything!

So your story will be nothing like mine - I guarantee it. Few posters here who are scared of losing all their teeth actually lose all their teeth. Less than 10% of them do! But even if the Very Worst happened - my story is here to let you know that you would still be able to chow down on tasty food, and your life would carry on. :)

B

Bbb

Thank you! I really appreciate that. The more I think about the appointment tomorrow the more tempted I am to cancel, but I know that’s the anxiety talking and I shouldn’t cancel?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely! Please don't cancel. Look at what fear was designed to: to keep us away from things that hurt us in the past. It's a learning process to make sure we don't put our hands on hot cooking plates or jump down from trees. It's just that in case of phobias this system gets a little crazy and tries to protect you from things that are not dangerous and in terms of dentist even important for your health. So hang in there, the anxiety WILL get worse, that's a part of the process, we all have been through that and after you're done you will be super proud of yourself and glad you did it. Look forward to read your success story :)