• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified

And in terms of the payment and everything. The don’t expect it all to be paid upfront. I’m so anxious that I’m already researching implants and expecting the worst situation, but I won’t know anything until tomorrow.

Hey,
I just had the appointment, and it really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The dentist was super super kind and gentle. He explained to me that at this point I should try and salvage whatever I can but I haven’t lost everything, and that I should start caring for my mouth. He took X-rays and scheduled me for a consultation appointment on Sunday, until then he said I should eat whatever I can but there is no way of just cutting corners. My fears and worries were very overthought and dramatised because my head was looping, I’m at ease now about the visit to the dentist!
for now I’m just gonna eat like normal and try figure everything out until Sunday!

Congratulations!! Sounds like you got on really well - great to hear the news was better than expected!

I thought dentists didn't reopen until June 8th?

I’m actually not in the U.K. thank god!
everything was much better than expected. He even suggested general anasthetic and doing it in as few appointments as possible! I think that would be perfect.
I’m a bit nervous about the cost but if it means I can have my sanity and smile back then I’ll do it!❤️
This forum is amazing - thank you all so much for your help!

Bbb,

Just caught up on your story! So glad you found a super kind dentist to help you and that the news wasn't as bad as you imagined!! Sounds like you have a plan you are pretty at peace with. Sounds you are doing amazing with it all!! :welldone: :cheer2:

Hey guys,
It’s me again. Unfortunately not with such great news...the dentist gave me my treatment plan and recommend doing everything under general anaesthetic. Whilst that does sound nice, it’s also pretty expensive and I don’t know where I will get the money for that. I’m trying to get family to help but no guarantees, my dad will call to discuss the payment plan.
Since then my teeth have been hurting and I really don’t know what to do. They aren’t so much hurting, but annoying. I can’t eat lots of food. I went to the dentist and he said that I should wait for the treatment. I think another part of my tooth cracked today, which for sure isn’t helpful.
im scared that this is gonna push me into depression, and it’s really scaring me. Scaring the fuck out of me. I don’t even know what to do with myself!
do you think it’s worth asking the dentist to start the treatment without the general anaesthetic? That would for sure make it cheaper!...is it normal that I’m back for being so scared? I’m actually petrified!

Hey guys,
It’s me again. Unfortunately not with such great news...the dentist gave me my treatment plan and recommend doing everything under general anaesthetic. Whilst that does sound nice, it’s also pretty expensive and I don’t know where I will get the money for that. I’m trying to get family to help but no guarantees, my dad will call to discuss the payment plan.
Since then my teeth have been hurting and I really don’t know what to do. They aren’t so much hurting, but annoying. I can’t eat lots of food. I went to the dentist and he said that I should wait for the treatment. I think another part of my tooth cracked today, which for sure isn’t helpful.
im scared that this is gonna push me into depression, and it’s really scaring me. Scaring the fuck out of me. I don’t even know what to do with myself!
do you think it’s worth asking the dentist to start the treatment without the general anaesthetic? That would for sure make it cheaper!...is it normal that I’m back for being so scared? I’m actually petrified!
Yes it’s definitely worth calling them and discussing your concerns. I would guess that the reason they recommend anesthesia is so that you can get everything taken care of at once and to help with your anxiety. I understand how you’re feeling right now as I was faced with a big expensive treatment plan and was scared to death thinking about how we were going to pay for it. I brought this up to the office manager and was able to work out paying in stages. I’m in the US and there’s a credit card you can apply for to only cover medical costs - that’s what I did. Hopefully you can talk with them and start your treatment soon.

Bbb,

:grouphug: It sure is a hard situation you are in. agh, sorry to hear , its so hard to know sedation/anesthesia would really help your anxiety but the cost is so high. Its hard to put it off , but its hard not too and just keep waiting while yet another tooth cracks..

I think is totally worth talking to the dentist about your options on either doing it without if you think you are up for it and what that would look like, and also finances ,see if they can help you a bit with payment plan as Boxermom suggested. I know how hard it is to ask family for help with money for dental when you don't have it. The whole situation is hard to be in.

I really hope you can find a good option and soon enough to take care of your pain and be able to eat better soon!

I understand what you are saying, my dad wants to discuss doing it gradually. I know in the past I have had treatment with laughing gas - so I don’t think that would be the most ridiculous thing in the world. in terms of food that i can eat at the moment, do any of you have any recommendations of food that would be good to eat. I don’t want to disturb the teeth anymore, so no crunchy stuff basically only soft food.

I know when I'm in dental treatment I eat alot of soups, mashed potatoes, ice cream, applesauce, tuna and salmon with lots of mayo. smoothies. like the deviled ham and chicken cans of soft meat. egg salad. chocolate mousse for dessert :)

We've got a whole page on this topic here: Soft food Ideas

I'm not sure why they suggested general anaesthesia, it sounds as if you've coped well in the past using just nitrous oxide? General anaesthesia has a lot of disadvantages, especially if it involves anything other than removing teeth or placing implants. For example, with fillings and crowns, it's much better if you're responsive and co-operative, so that you can check that your bite is right. Our mouths are very sensitive, and the difference between a comfortable crown and an uncomfortable one is tiny. If you can't give feedback, it's pretty hard to achieve the best results. Also, from what dentists have told me, there are lots of technical difficulties with getting good access under general anaesthesia. It's much easier if you can co-operate to get the best results.

So your dad's suggestion sounds spot on :) .

Of course, it might mean splitting the treatment up into more appointments, so that you're able to cope.

Do they offer conscious IV sedation at all?

hey,
I think they recommended the general anaesthetic due to my anxiety and lack of care in the past.
for now I’m going to wait for my dad to call them, see what they say and maybe suggest doing it with laughing gas. Indeed in more appointments.
additionally he mentioned implants, but if I can’t afford them he said something about dentures or fill in teeth. What does this exactly mean?

So unfortunately I didn’t work out the payment plan so the treatment didn’t go ahead. My teeth are still in bad shape, i think I’m going back to the UK this Sunday so will see a dentist there and what they have to say.
I called one dentist in London, supposedly they are good for anxiety or something, but the receptionist made me feel very bad about the treatment needed. I told her I had anxiety and let my teeth get into bad shape and she asked if I was in an accident. Not appreciated don’t think I’ll be calling her back anytime soon.

So unfortunately I didn’t work out the payment plan so the treatment didn’t go ahead. My teeth are still in bad shape, i think I’m going back to the UK this Sunday so will see a dentist there and what they have to say.
I called one dentist in London, supposedly they are good for anxiety or something, but the receptionist made me feel very bad about the treatment needed. I told her I had anxiety and let my teeth get into bad shape and she asked if I was in an accident. Not appreciated don’t think I’ll be calling her back anytime soon.
The good thing about London is that there are way more options in terms of dentists than a majority of other UK cities. I couldn’t even find an NHS dentist where I live. Been like that for years. What I did was I emailed a bunch of dental surgeries before calling them to see what they’re like with anxious patients. Good luck with finding a dentist. I don’t think you’ll have that much trouble finding someone that meets your needs over in London.

I hear that the other thing is that I live abroad majority of the year, so it really depends on whether I’m able to get the treatment whilst I’m there - how long it’ll take and if I can figure out a payment plan. From a dental perspective I think my anxiety makes me feel worse about the teeth, the fact that it could have gotten fixed means that I shouldnt be so anxious about it - but who knows.

I called one dentist in London, supposedly they are good for anxiety or something, but the receptionist made me feel very bad about the treatment needed.

Just wanting to check if this is anyone who's been recommended on here? We take any feedback (both positive and negative) very seriously! Thanks :). You can send me a private message if you like.

So I’m back in the UK, my anxiety has gotten a bit better. I haven’t got the treatment I need yet- but I have been brushing every day, and I don’t think the teeth have been getting worse. I have an appointment with a dentist here today, he’s known by my family. I hope he’s good with anxious patients and everything - I guess w will find out!
fingers crossed ? I’ll let you all know how it goes!

Bbb,

How did your appt go with the dentist on Friday? Was he good with anxiety? Hope it all went well!

Bbb,

How did your appt go with the dentist on Friday? Was he good with anxiety? Hope it all went well!
It was amazing. The best dentist I’ve been too in the uk. He was cracking jokes with me and really relieving the anxiety from a very anxious situation.
he said it’s not the end of the world - and hopefully I can start treatment this week!

:jump: :dance2::cheer2:Sooo awesome to hear!! I LOVE dentists with a good sense of humor.. My last dentist was really disarming with his humor, it helped alot.. Total anxiety buster so often! Very happy for you and glad you can get started , wow already this week :)